Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few minutes ago, I glanced out my office window and saw a coyote trotting along the woodline. He stopped a few yards from a carcass pile I have out behind a big cherry tree, and he studied it from a few different angles. Its a pretty big pile of coyote, fox, coon and possum. He seemed extremely wary and suspicious (arent they always?) and he never even grabbed a bite. Until now, nothing except an occasional crow has fed off this pile.

I grabbed my digital camera and took as many shots as I could during the 30-seconds that he was in view. I had to shoot through window glass, so the pics arent all that great....

I think I know a trapper who would be willing to put a couple of sets around that pile for me, today. :D

-NC

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow Great Pics!! Good luck with trappin him--looks like a good yote to me. personally i would've grabbed my 22-250 and taken pics afterward...but that's just me ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
cool pics. every time i see them out my window the last thing im trying to get is my camera. ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have lots of dead yotes but no live yote pics...until now. So, we each have to decide what we want more.

Besides, grabbing a camera (already in my office) was alot more practical than going to my house, opening the gun safe, getting some ammo and returning....long after the coyote had left.

Remember, I didnt spook him, yet he only stayed 30-seconds.

-NC

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If that's the view out of your office window, can I come work there?

Any job openings? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome pics!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Already have my resome' in DTrain.....he says I'm over qualified.

Hey....I was just looking out my office widow and see there's a beautiful fire hydrant hitting my carcass pile. It appears to be full prime, but I left the gun at home, and don't think I have a trap big enough to hold him. :p

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(Note to everyone out there.....now you know why I told Mallard he was over qualified! I think he's snorted too much trapping lure, over the years. Worse than airplane glue, ya know. Shhhhh!) ;)

-NC

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I made four sets this afternoon, within 15-yards of the carcass pile. Normally, I would be inclined to use urine posts and gland lures in winter...but since food is the attraction here, and snow not too deep, I stuck with dirtholes for the most part.

Here are the four sets...

We shall see! :)

-NC

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow, Beautiful lookin sets!! how do you make these sets in the snow and not leave a bunch of sign behind like footprints?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hoytshooter4 said:
how do you make these sets in the snow and not leave a bunch of sign behind like footprints?
I have really looooooong arms :)

Seriously though, I devised some tricks while coyote snaring last winter, which ustilize a leaf rake and regular dirt sifter.

But first of all, its important to plan your moves and minimize the amount of walking that you do....so you dont have so much to patch up. When I am done setting, I reach way out and shave-up some snow with the rake, then patch/fill my boot prints. Then after some fine grading, I gather more snow on the rake and then shake it like a sifter, to create an artificial snowfall. The box sifter is used for finesse work.

-NC

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
NC,

My retirement office window looks out into our backyard and I also have on occasion seen a coyote or two, as well as turkey and deer.

But my wife draws the line when it comes to me setting my traps in the backyard. She makes me go to the back of our property to set my traps. I don't complain, because our dog Tanner sure is a hand full when it comes to releasing him from a coyote trap ;) .

Seriously, you definitely have some nice looking sets ready and waiting for the return of this coyote. Sure is going to make checking your traps a breeze compared to driving all over the country side!

Now the pressure is on, we expect to see a coyote photo again tomorrow morning from you office window :D . My money is on you to connect with a coyote tonight!

Keep us posted, as I know you will.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for sharing your set pictures. That is going to help me out alot. I'm going to add this page to my favorites!

Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts