Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put out some sets on some really good sign. I used a really aromatic bait and was wondering if I should also be using some kind of lure. If so what do you guys recommend? After getting that female I'm really geeked about adding to the collection. I mean I don't want her to be alone hanging in the rafters. That just would'nt be right.

Thanks in advance and hope everybody is having a good season.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
I agree with Mike. This time of the year it seems that unless you have some long distance lure containing skunk, then you might as well save the lure until next fall.

A good bait and some urine seems to be all you really need to get the hungry coyote or fox to work you set.

Good Luck getting some more fur in your fur shed!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That's how I've got them set up(bait and fox urine). We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Also picked up a new camera today so hopefully I'll have some photo's. Nice thing is that there's not any water close by:lol: . Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Dave,

Do you think that a lure with a skunk smell will work this time a year on coyotes? I see that you said that this time of year its best to use bait but I was still wondering. The reason I ask is because My dad and I have been using a lure called stepping wolf not sure of the brand, but the lure has a skunk smell to it. That is the lure that we caught the red fox, and the mink with. They were both on the same 80 acre farm. One of our sets had coyote tracks leading up to it but it looked like it stopped and looked at it then kept walking, I was wondering if maybe there wasn't enough smell or maybe not and interesting smell?

Thanks again for all the info.

-Psebuckmaster-

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, after Mike caught and posted about his second coyote, I replied and said that I was going to make some fresh sets. Well, I did and Sat. morning I had some fresh coyote tracks leading up to a 5 foot weed that I put some lure on (containg skunk essence). The weed was the only thing near by that was tall enough to get the sent up in the air. It is approx. 10 feet from where I have a bedded trap with bait in a dirt hole and urine. The coyote approached the weed that had the lure on it and then simply turned around a carried on about it's business. I have sience placed a little lure above my dirt hole close to the ground, but have had no more interaction.

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
From the books I have read, skunk is the long-call scent for winter trapping. Predators love skunk meat and fat, as it has a much lower freezing point than other animals. I have read this and can confirm this through my observation. You know how venison fat/tallow gets hard as a rock? If you have skunk fat right next to it, you will find that it remains soft and mushy.

Mallard loaned me a Russ Carman fox trapping book last year, and I remember it said something like....." the 3 most effective scents for winter fox trapping are skunk, skunk and skunk".

And in my copy of Ray Milligan's Coyote Fever book, he clearly states that skunk and its essence are the attractors to use for canines in winter.

I have extracted the essence from 4 skunks and have it saved (underground) in a maple syrup bottle (because I dont drink whisky). I plan to add a drop or three to a pint of glycerine, and mix my winter meat baits in it....for a touch of spice and calling power.

Finally, I will say that one of my best baits for canine this fall has been fresh skunk, as a whole carcass or chunked meat and glands.

-NC

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
psebuckmaster17

PsEbUcKmAsTeR17 said:
Dave,

Do you think that a lure with a skunk smell will work this time a year on coyotes? I see that you said that this time of year its best to use bait but I was still wondering. The reason I ask is because My dad and I have been using a lure called stepping wolf not sure of the brand, but the lure has a skunk smell to it. That is the lure that we caught the red fox, and the mink with. They were both on the same 80 acre farm. One of our sets had coyote tracks leading up to it but it looked like it stopped and looked at it then kept walking, I was wondering if maybe there wasn't enough smell or maybe not and interesting smell?

Thanks again for all the info.

-Psebuckmaster-
The post by NorthCountry pretty much spells out the lure situation during the winter. If you use a lure, then it probably needs to have some skunk in the mix.

It is hard to interpret what is going on in the mind of a coyote. For sure they are probably the smarts furbearer that we can target here in Michigan. They don't make a lot of mistakes, but if you are patient and follow good human scent control, then they can be tricked into putting their paw on the pan of your trap ;) .

With all that said, I still think that we trappers have a real tendancy to blow things out of portion, when it comes to imparting too much cunning to coyotes, especially during the winter when we can see their tracks. But unfortunately they can see our tracks also, which really makes for an interesting cat and mouse game :D .

For most trappers catching the first coyote is the hardest, then it gets easier, because we tend to go about this art of trapping in a more relaxed manner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts