Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out back to check my new food plot this morning, while I was looking around a coyote walked off from behind me. My plot is only about 75yds from the house, and my question is, not knowing much about coyotes, should I be leary about letting the kids play in the back yard with him around?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I would let my "bad" children play out there, but keep your favorite kids in the house.:D

(disclaimer, this was my attempt at humor, please do not take it seiously)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Even if the kid's are very young [5 or younger]I would think any small pet's you may have would be in alot more danger from a coyote,but who can say what a wild animal may do.Maybe not letting the kid's play by themself's or if you have a large breed dog[lab,sheperd,ect...]you can keep outside with the kid's sure would'nt hurt.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
2 years ago I would of said you don't have anything to worry about. If your kids are under 7 or 8 I would keep a eye on them. The reason I changed my mind is last year I got a call from a lady in Fenton who said a coyote was stalking her 3 year old on the back deck. I caught a young male yote right off the deck. It kind of surprised me.

Griffondog

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I get Yotes up near my house all the time, I had part of my back yard fenced to let the dog run when we built the place, when the kids were little we only let them out alone in the fenced yard. Even though you don't hear of yotes going after young kids, why take chance?

The bigger threat is to your pets or farm animals. We have a hard time keeping barn cats around, and we don't have many rabbits around either. Two years ago the yotes tried to get into our hog pen (kids raise hogs for the youth fair) but we heard the noise and got out there before one was killed. They were digging a hole under the gate. I had to go all around the fence and add a buried fence section. I have shot 8 yotes over past two years, 2 this spring and we still have plenty around. Once they establish a population, it is not likely you will get rid of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts