Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,243 Posts
I went out yesterday evening. i put on my waders and waded a crick until it became an ice highway. Lots of tracks on this frozen runway (1 day old). I was able to walk on it for quite aways making my aproach silent. I had a great wind. I got to a point where it spread out into 3 directions with a huge blow down area and lots of spruce pockets. I thought for sure i was going to pull one out of there. I stayed until 30 minutes past dark and nothing. I think im going to give that area a few weeks and do it again around midnight.
Before that i have been out a lot. I called one in but he circled down from me 300 yards. Its been tough for me lately. Cold and snowy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree about the weather I am only able to hunt em during day an a little past dark I don't have a light for night time. I am gonna try a couple new spots the next couple days see what it brings in good luck to ya.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah I agree about the weather I am only able to hunt em during day an a little past dark I don't have a light for night time. I am gonna try a couple new spots the next couple days see what it brings in good luck to ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'd be pleasantly suprized how well you can see/hunt without a light. Of course,snow backdrop helps or frozen ponds,rivers ,trails etc.
Just my preference,but I dont use a light.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I try to do the same thing hunt somewhere elevated above of field swamp or river bottom then you can see em coming an works pretty good for when it gets dark. The hard part is though I go by myself cause no one goes with so its a little difficult.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
19,243 Posts
I hunt by myself alot. It is a lot tougher with out someone watching the downwind side. I try to set up with obstacles at my back. I had a great location last nite its just the darn things already moved out of the area for a while. Wouldnt it be nice if they could be patterned like deer. Unfortunatley thier food source move. and they have to wander for miles looking for a bite to eat.
By the way i dont have a light either. I could have stayed much longer last night watching the frozen stream beds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I hunt by myself alot. It is a lot tougher with out someone watching the downwind side. I try to set up with obstacles at my back. I had a great location last nite its just the darn things already moved out of the area for a while. Wouldnt it be nice if they could be patterned like deer. Unfortunatley thier food source move. and they have to wander for miles looking for a bite to eat.
By the way i dont have a light either. I could have stayed much longer last night watching the frozen stream beds.
Same thing has happened up here.where i was seeing a lot of activity in the last 10 days or so,suddenly theres not much in the way of any fresh sign.I do know that what deer that were left at one location decided to high tail it for the swamp where they cold find maybe a little heat retainment.

·
Premium Member
19,243 Posts
I've been getting out on the weekends, seeing fox but not any yokes. Waiting for the 1st op. On a yote passed on the last 2 fox I have seen.
This is the best weather in my eyes the colder the better. Good luck
There wasnt anything moving on sunday at 31 below zero. I noticed movement on tuesday when it got up to 20 degrees

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
seeing fox but not any yokes. Waiting for the 1st op. On a yote passed on the last 2 fox I have seen.
I've never had a fox come into my calls. Although I rarely see a fox down here. I think the only way I'd pass on a fox would be if it came in during the daytime. I'd hate to waste a nice, prime red fox pelt with a 50 gr. V-max. Good luck on your pursuit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Anyone useing a yote in heat call now.. I got a double speaker call that iv be using set 1 out 200yard out with a buddy and i sett down wind with1 speaker if he see or heard A hang up.. il run my speark to change it up on them.. 3 for 3 this year..
I'v only started about a year ago..so im still learn here..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Female howls etc would be good to start using from now till the end of the season(still cant believe theres a season....).You can kiyi with a higher pitched female call which is always good to have in your back pocket.Word of caution,beware of coyote vocalizations-they can put down any critters within earshot if they are not in the mood. I dont even use my male howler anymore except for driving around late night and trying to find out where they are shackin up.
As with everything,theres a learning curve.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both calls I have are Cass creek electronic hand calls the 1st call has cottontail distress jack rabbit distress coyote howl pup howl and fawn distress. New call has woodpecker, kiiten, fox raccoon an one more I was told the woodpecker an kitten work real good any suggestions. The calls don't have speakers so they are right by my side may make it a little tougher.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
606 Posts
Both calls I have are Cass creek electronic hand calls the 1st call has cottontail distress jack rabbit distress coyote howl pup howl and fawn distress. New call has woodpecker, kiiten, fox raccoon an one more I was told the woodpecker an kitten work real good any suggestions. The calls don't have speakers so they are right by my side may make it a little tougher.
Posted via Mobile Device
My rule of thumb has always been not to overcall-both in volume and amount of calling.Mix it up,try little bit of everything. DONT FORGET DA MOUSE SQUEAKER!!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well went out again this morning tryed different place didn't see a thing tryed driving around checking out fields an looking for tracks while driving an done some calling also still nothing. Might have to go to the only 2 spots that I know where they are an try to get em some how
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.