Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was a rough first try at Coyote hunting for Tom222 and myself this morning. The snow depth really slowed us down. Most places it was up to my knees. We never got a single reply to Tom's calling and never cut a single track.
I hope we get a big thaw here pretty soon, or its gonna be a long winter. :(

------------------
Mike

·
592 Posts
Keep pokeing away at it, the first time you see your self become the hunted you'll be hooked. If you call in a Yote every 10 or 15 set your doing good.....Don't Let one Bite You... :D

·
Banned
694 Posts
As Mike said, we didn't see a thing, but it was nice to be in the woods again.
Mike is more familiar with the area than I am, so I was not only thankful for a guide, but it was also nice to have someone to help break trails. It might be time to invest in some snow shoes.
We both went into this knowing that the likelyhood of seeing a coyote was slim, so it wasn't a dissapointing trip.
We were thinking that the deep snow might be hindering the coyote's movement.
All in all, it was a morning well spent, and as Mike said, when the snow is easier to navigate, It will be time to head out again.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I went coyote hunting for the first time this year and didn't have any better luck. I was out well before dawn and walked alot of two-tracks and never cut a track nor had any responses to calling. I went to a different area after lunch and had the same results. The snow is about knee deep here too. Other than that it was a really pleasant, partly sunny day.
I'll try down along some cedar swamps tommorrow morning. They may running the trails where the deer are yarded.

------------------
Take a Kid Hunting!

[This message has been edited by Jumpshootin' (edited 12-30-2000).]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jumpshootin,
I bet its pretty darn cold up in your area too. I havent been to Interlochen for a few years now. The last time I was there, it was so cold out, the buss boy in the resturaunt threw a glass of water in the air and it vaporized instantly. :eek:

Yoda,
Hows the snow depth on the eastern end? I heard the snowmobile trails are'nt open yet because of a lack of snow. Or is this mainly down around the southern part. I wish Tom and I could get up there, I know we could bust a few Coyotes cruising that swamp around my camp. ;)

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Originally posted by msiebers:
Jumpshootin,
I bet its pretty darn cold up in your area too. I havent been to Interlochen for a few years now. The last time I was there, it was so cold out, the buss boy in the resturaunt threw a glass of water in the air and it vaporized instantly. :eek:
It's been in the teens during the day for the past couple of weeks. I'm working outside all day, so I have all the cold weather gear needed to stay comfortable.

Yoda,
Hows the snow depth on the eastern end? I heard the snowmobile trails are'nt open yet because of a lack of snow. Or is this mainly down around the southern part. I wish Tom and I could get up there, I know we could bust a few Coyotes cruising that swamp around my camp. ;)

------------------
Take a Kid Hunting!

·
592 Posts
msiber, we have plenty of snow, all the trails are open as far as I know. not sure about over by your camp , they dont get much snow over there for the most part.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'll have to keep an eye on the weather reports for up there Yoda. If things dont improve down here in the next month, I think a trip up there would be in order. :)

------------------
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts