Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plan to go out about 9pm friday with all this snow and more expected do you think they will be laying up or on the move. need some tips for night hunting in snow. thanks Don.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Hunt no matter what, I've had success in all situations. Snow camo is your best friend too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I went out that night too! after seeing one out on a hill side, (not legal hunting area) figured after the snowstorm they'd be on the move,,,,, But, just getting out there is the best thing that you can do....Remember to sit in a shadow of something even at night. keep your calling soft for the first few minutes, darkness hides you, but also hides them too. might be some closer than you think. Hunt with a buddy, and do the spotlight trade system...you shine, then they shine while the other one shoots. don't spot them directly after you locate one, but keep them in the halo of the light, use a squeaker to bring them in closer if need be. Don't turn the light on for the first 15 minutes, but once you turn it on, it's best to just leave it on (red lens cover on it if possible)
Hope this helps,

CG

G

·
In deep snow, food becomes a priority. They cannot get to the mice, voles, and other vermentia that constitute a large part of their diets. They are therefore more likely to come to a call.

They will also tend to travel along the path of least resistance.

Set up accordingly.

G

·
Wear orange anyway. Dogs are colorblind. Orange looks like snow so long as it has been washed free of UV brighteners.

Regardless of what the 'good book' says, this should be a no brainer. Besides, if you fall and break your leg, it'll be easier for rescue personal to locate your carcass. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
One thing to remember with a light is it will reflect back at the light. I thought mine was crap shining on a reflector. Was holding the light at my hip. Moved it closer to my eye and there was reflection.:bash: DOH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts