Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 12 o clock news had a story of a dog that was attacked by a coyote when the owners let it out to go to the bathroom. Some "official" was quoted as saying "the dog probably got too close"

·
Registered
610 Posts
I live in Lenawee County and 2 years ago my wife let our cocker spitz mixed dog out and when she went to let it back in she scared 4 coyotes off that had the dog pinned to the ground five foot from our deck. It took over 200 stiches to fix her up. They had her belly ripped open and they crushed her voice box. She hasn't been able to bark since. She was about 55 lbs when they nailed her. When I took her to the vet they had a lab that they didn't expect to live that had been attacked by yotes .

·
Registered
519 Posts
There are begginning to be quite a few coyotes over on the island. A friend of mine goes jogging over in the sanctuay and last year he said he saw three coyotes feeding on an adult doe. He didn't investigate to see if the deer may had been hit by a car, or if the coyotes had actually killed the deer themselves.

·
Registered
550 Posts
There are some coyotes that just have the ability to take on a challenge. They are fast and know what to do to get their quarry off balance and take advantage of any mistakes. Not all coyotes are bold enough to do it, but the ones that are willing do pose a serious threat to pet owners. Years ago, the neighbors had lost a couple of pets and thought they had run away. We figured differently when my other neighbors' young Rottweiler pup was attacked. The only thing that saved him was their other dog, an Alaskan Malamuke that ended up killing one of the coyotes. They are not sure how many coyotes there were, but the pup was very close to death. That Rott weighs about 125 lbs now and you can almost see she wants a rematch. :)

With that kind of boldness, you have to figure the other neighbors little dog and cat didn't just "run away".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Four years ago in Monroe county I was running my lab and two coyotes were coming my way. My dog was off running on my side and never seen the coyotes until they were very close to me. What they were intending by coming at me I do not know. They did not look like they were goig to attack or anything but I was yelling at them and they never stopped. When my lab heard me yelling he thought I was yelling at him and so he ran over and when he seen the coyotes he took off after them. They let him chase them for a few then they turned on him. I never seen anything like it before. My lab had killed the smaller of the two and he had injured the big one pretty good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
there sure is getting to be more and more cases of yotes attackin pets its been a problem longer than we mite thinkdown in sothern michigan the yotes are also cross breeding with pets and makeing a larger bolder type of killer if yall havent heard of them there called coydogs theres breeders in indiana that sell them that i no of i myself havent seen any of them in the upper but we have bigger vermin up here to worrie about its called a wolf and yes they are killing pets and live stock i sure miss the bounty the state had on yotes years ago made them worth hunting sence the bounty was takein off yotes i no of 7 diffrent packs of hound hunters that have gottin right out of dog hunting these guys hunted for the bounty and say they cant count on fur prices to feed the dogs i myself run the dogs for the enjoyment i get from hearing the hounds run in fullcry but again i prefur to run bobcat and bear and rarely mess with yotes though i have dogs that love to catch a yote man thats a mess when they catch one well i could ramble on for ever on this so i guess ill stop it here have a great day and kill a yote or 2 and save some small game and a fawn or 2

·
Registered
618 Posts
i'am working in morris illinois just south of chi-town. down here they have coyote warning's on the t.v and radio so people in that town can keep a close eye on there pet's.just thought i would share that.it was new to me being a michigan boy.i already have a farm lined up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by whitedog
we have bigger vermin up here to worrie about its called a wolf
Why do you keep referring to the wolf as vermin? They were here long before we came with our bounties and and our malls and our housing developments. A healthy ecology depends on predators and the wolf has a rightful place in North America. You don't have to like it but at least respect it for what it is. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts