Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I used scent web acorn and vanilla last week. I wont use it in bow season due to the number of bear in the area. Thought the bears were sleeping, I thought wrong... 20201121_100809.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a set of scent lock coveralls I keep in a zip scent lock bag I put on over base clothes when I get to hunt site. All my jackets, hat, gloves, pack, etc I keep in big plastic tote with fresh cut balsam, white pine, and cedar boughs. The clothes smell like an evergreen forest when you pull the out. I put scent lock head covering over cap when I get to stand. I pick a small apple off the tree at parking spot to eat on way to stand. Figure it gives me apple breath for at least a little bit. There are apple trees around most of my stand locations as well as pine, balsam and cedar. Still hunt the wind but occasions where something comes in downwind there is usually not an issue. I also shower before each hunt with scent free soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My venison stew and beer farts cover my garlic n butter backstrap breath. My hunting clothes usually sit in a pile by the door where I take them off. I may have washed them once in 2 years. I think the pike slime from last years ice fishing trip may be a cover scent. If not that then I know steelhead jizz has to be.

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
Anybody ever hear of using one of those bee keeper smoke guns? A guy on my Facebook does fills with, pine, cedar or whatever he is hunting around smokes his clothes says it works

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
Before all the new-fangled scent controls, there was skunk scent. Killed a lot of deer using it. Don't anymore, thanks to scent free soap.
Red Fox was popular that era too

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I stand by a campfire to get my clothes all smokey it works very well (old timer taught me this).Deer are so use to people burning wood and leaves all the time that it doesn't even phase them. Have had many deer the past few years in close and down wind of me walk right on by and have no idea I was there.

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I stand by a campfire to get my clothes all smokey it works very well (old timer taught me this).Deer are so use to people burning wood and leaves all the time that it doesn't even phase them. Have had many deer the past few years in close and down wind of me walk right on by and have no idea I was there.

Alot of folks still have wood heat in there blinds.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
My dad swore by skunk scent - and it might obscure other odors - however, that came to an end one day when up in the UP in the middle of nowhere he had a buck actually trail him right up to his tree stand. Buck hit 5th gear once he saw my dad and he never did get a shot off. We did the fox urine trick too. The best we found was the fresh (non decaying is the point here) worked pretty well to cover our tracks. The colder it is, the harder it is for deer to detect scents. Reason being is the relative humidity drops significantly when the air temp is below freezing. The higher the humidity (short of rain) the easier it is for bird dogs to track too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Which do you prefer/use, if any?

I was looking into Conquest EverCalm stick.
I've had good luck using this product, i put it on the tree's and even around the windows of my blind, i've had deer come within 10-15 yds downwind and lay down . Like anything though doesn't always work that way. just how it workd for me, and i'm still using it

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
Ok - guess I'll go through this one more time. Take a shower with scent free soap/shampoo. Wash clothes in detergent with no additives (arm-n-hammer or Tide makes them). One person pointed out to use laundry equipment never exposed to scents etc. which is a great point. Not a problem for me since my wife buys into to using less chemicals. Never use a dryer that had antistatic sheets used - it takes forever to get rid of that smell. Leave your hunting clothes outside. Smells created by cooking in the house will seem foreign to deer. Leave boots outside, wash your boot laces, never touch the boot lace strings with bare hands. I have 8 sets of gloves that I use for hunting to remain scent free. Never touch your hoist rope with bare hands - oh yeah - I leave all my ropes outside for 3 months before using them along with all of my ratchet straps (keep them out of the sun though). How well does this work? I had a coyote with nose to the ground cross my trail where I walked to my tree 2 hours earlier and it never detected me. I have yet to see a deer react negatively to my boot prints either. Breathing only through the nose may not be that easy for some folks.
This is pretty close to what to my routine, just a few extra steps added. I shave all my body hair starting in Sept & keep it that way until the freezer is full.
Also, EVERYTHING I wear has been washed, even my every day clothes, including my bedding, pillow cases and all. I change clothes 3 times by the time I get to my stand, lol.

Last Saturday, the early bird got the worm & got to my best stand before me. :irked:
Ended up in a stand with the WORST wind. While smoking a cigarette an absolute stud comes walking in, dead down wind from me, 25 yards when I shot him. Still can't figure out how that deer didn't wind me.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
The smart guys on here have pointed out that a "cover" scent adds a new scent to the bouquet, but a deer's nose still smells whatever is there, you can't cover up what is already there, best thing is to try to eliminate your odor.

And yes, I have had good success with scentlok. It eliminates a significant amount of odor (not all, but enough to fool a deer into thinking you might be farther away and not a risk, at least that is the theory).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The evercalm deodorant didn't work for me.
It's chapstick, covers up the bad breath.

That was a joke but I have tried a ton of things and have been busted many times. We went through the scent lok, carbon, change at the truck, sealed containers, ozonics, ozone closet, ozone bag, cover scents, and everything else. It was money and time well wasted. Now I try to stay scent free with ozone bag or closet, shower scent free, and play the wind. I typically hunt travel corridors and will move my stand if the wind is wrong. Although the deer have come in from the wrong direction when they didn't listen to me.

At my personal property I have multiple stands and a few sealed box blinds. The box blinds are the best for stopping scent but are the worst for shooting a bow.

BTW I have some doe pee in a bottle in my bag right now, ever calm stick in the bed of my truck. I use stuff like that because it gives me hope that something will work or at least buy me an extra couple seconds to make the shot.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts