Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some pressuring from friends, I have decided to reluctantly post my good fortune. I have been a serious ice fisherman since 2000-2001, in fact I have not missed a weekend in 3yrs and this is by far my biggest one yet. My previous best was 9.1lbs. This one was caught somewhere on the Saginaw Bay this past sunday 1-16-11. It was a slow day of fishing for me having only marked five fish and catching two. This happened to be the first one. I was sitting there eating my bag of chips and drinking my coke, jigging one rod with my left arm. It was around 5:30 and I remember thinking, this sucks. All of a sudden the Vex lights up and with one twitch of the rod "BAM", fish on. We all know what it feels like when setting the hook on one of those average fish, usually you can horse them right up. This one was different, first thought was, ****ing lake trout. As I was bringing it up, I was standing over the hole looking down and the fish went screaming by, good gosh(edited) it's a walleye. Now normally I am not a gaffer so when the fish got close, I didn't even reach for the gaff. It went by the hole 3 times and I was unable to grab it and I thought to myself, self, your going to screw around and lose this fish, time for the gaff. Well I got a hook into it and then grabbed it under the gills and pulled it out. First thing I did was hollered over to one of my buddys to come here, holding the fish up for him to see. He came over and we measured it at 30.5 inches, also trying to guess the weight, boy were we off. I had a handheld scale in the truck on shore and it showed it being an even 12.0lbs, so here it is.

We weighed it again on another scale and that one said 12.1lbs, finally I realized I had caught something special. The official weight at the meat market was 12.08lbs, more than enough for a master angler award. This fish will be going on the wall also. It's just to bad I didn't catch it between Jan. 29th and Feb. 11th, or on Feb. 19th. Oh well, I'll take one anytime like this. So for anyone wondering where all the big fish are, they are out there. Oh yeah, the picture is deceiving, remember I am over 6ft. tall and weigh 230lbs, judge accordingly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Awesome fish. Thanks for giving me hope of finally getting a wall mounter!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice fish Mikey, got that picture on my cell phone sunday late afternoon. I know I cant keep up with you guys as far as speed but Im gonna try to get out with you guys this weekend barring I get my quad exhaust. I should have bought your Honda instead of getting this Yamaha!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing deceiving about that picture. I like how your elbows are at your side, and the fish close to your body. Some guys extend fish way out from their body during pictures, which distorts the actual size of the fish. Great job on the fish and picture, too!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts