Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm somewhat new to the site, but ive been looking at this trapping forum occasionally and i'm pretty interested. I was just wondering what it takes to get started trapping as far as gear and area. I've got about 10-15 acres of hardwoods and some thick pine areas that i could trap, and i wanted to start with maybe just coons/possums and i've seen a few red foxes. If i could get some general info on what traps to buy/ how to makes sets and all that i would really appreciate it. Thanks Alot
Joel

·
Registered
588 Posts
Search the forums by typing in either the target animal, or a specific question. There is a good posibility that some usefull information will pop up. Come back later with more specific questions. Oppossums and raccoons would be an great start. Good luck,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Hooked115,

Welcome to the forum!

We have a lot of knowledgable trappers on this forum that will be more than happy to help you in anyway possible to get started in trapping.

Here are a couple more websites that are excellent for being trappers. As you probably guess the first step is to do a lot of reading and studying before you go to the fields and streams in persuit of furbearing animals.

http://www.traps4kids.com/Index.html

http://www.mntrappers.com/educationmanual.html

Good Luck in your efforts to become a trapper!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and feedback guys, i really appreciate it. I've been looking at some of those websites and there is lots of good info, hope to get into it real soon. Thanks again.

Joel

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Joel, welcome to the site! Your first piece of gear should be the trapping guide or rule book!! LOL sorry, really poking fun at myself for an earlier post where I sounded off!

Good luck! If you've never done any kind of trapping before, may I recommend that you start with muskrats. usually any pond or even a drainage ditch that has water year round usually holds rats. I got my start in the Lansing Mall ditch of all places. Lot easier that those dang yotes and fox to start out on.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
crittergetter,

Great advice!

By the way I lived just off Cryets road north of Saginaw Hwy, so we must have been nieghbors in the past ;) .

I even trapped a few muskrats in a drainage within walking distance just west of our subdivision. There sure was a lot of wildlife living in close to all this development back in 1987 to 1996.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Find a trapper that is willing to take you out on their line. An hour on the line with an experienced trapper is worth a hundred hours of trial and error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts