Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this won’t be a very popular discussion...HAHA..

I was really wondering if we could keep a running discussion on water temp going. Silver Bass will move in once the water temp hits 55°.

This is either a countdown to the Silver Bass run or countdown until walleye season is over. And maybe not really over but when everyone stops coming the the DR for them.

Anyone got the water temp?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

I was really wondering if we could keep a running discussion on water temp going. Silver Bass will move in once the water temp hits 55°.

This is either a countdown to the Silver Bass run or countdown until walleye season is over. And maybe not really over but when everyone stops coming the the DR for them.

I was seeing 44° today and we did catch 1 big silver and kept it!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Tried them once 20 years ago and they were so fishy and nasty it only took one bite and haven't ate them since. Fun to catch though.

·
Premium Member
12,203 Posts
Marinate them in Milk.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go once sometimes twice each year. Its fun to take someone who doesn't fish a lot.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree with Sureshot that theast few years have been down. I do not like catching them during walleye season bur realize they are a must in the ecosystem. Google baby white bass. They look like shad and probably feed our walleye. If they go away so will our walleye.

On another note when you get pull backs or flags waving, some of those are not missed walleye but rather Silvers slashing at your baits.

They are always there, this one was caught March 9th this year is Brest Bay. A master angler at 16.5 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Same here, I usually pull out the pencil plugs in june to keep the silvers off - didn’t even touch them last year. It was a slow summer overall, for me at least.

I’d rather pull in silvers than nothing - also love seeing folks having a blast catching em

·
Registered
391 Posts

The sate's opener is the last Friday in April so a lot of guys head to inland lakes and the D slows down but there are still a lot of walleyes in the system.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Tried them once 20 years ago and they were so fishy and nasty it only took one bite and haven't ate them since. Fun to catch though.
You've got to filet out the red. When done properly, a white bass yields 2 small filets and two large filets. You should also bleed them the same way as walleye. Most of the time, funky tasting game was from improper handling or prep.

We caught 3 of them on the Maumee today. Saw a few others caught.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
I caught a couple Whomper White Bass on Brest Bay last Sunday. They had to be close to 18", and both had all 3 Bandit hooks stuck in them. Vicious bastages. Maybe the increase in Walleye numbers is responsible for reduced White Bass numbers? Years ago I caught 2 White Bass on a #5 Rapala, at the same time, while handlining the Trenton Channel. There were a lot more White Bass about 10 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts