Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be the 3rd winter for my drill purchase for augering through the ice. Had lazar auger for about 5-6 years. Same blades. This season I am finding out that my batteries are really getting low after only 4-5 six" holes through only 6 to 8" of ice. Could dull blades be causing this problem? Every thing worked fine until now. Thanks for any and all thoughts on this.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
I hope its dull blades! Lol, because I'm in the same boat...

Except I'm getting a few more holes, maybe 10 or so before it starts to slow down and start cutting out...

It must be dull blades, my drill seems to be working a lot harder, and I have to push down more...

I going to sharpen my blades and see how she flies....

<*)))>{

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
This would be the 3rd winter for my drill purchase for augering through the ice. Had lazar auger for about 5-6 years. Same blades. This season I am finding out that my batteries are really getting low after only 4-5 six" holes through only 6 to 8" of ice. Could dull blades be causing this problem? Every thing worked fine until now. Thanks for any and all thoughts on this.
Back when I ran an electric I tried this. The lazer cuts about 1/2 inch of ice per revolution. U go through 8" in 16 cranks. The blue mora auger takes a lot more cranks. Like maybe 100 cranks. But it takes very little torque. Who cares how many cranks when it's a drill motor? The blue mora was easier on my batteries.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Mine is a Mora, with rice burner blades..

Just sharpened it... Headed out to test...

<°)))>{

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Wow!!

Just turned a local pond into swiss cheese lol!

31 holes through 8 inches in two minutes, thermal protection shut it down with 20% battery left over..

The drill spun quicker, and didn't have to push down at all either.. A lot less work on the drill too..

Now all I need is some real Swedish blades and keep the rice burners as a spare...

Pretty amazing difference!!

Me happy now..

<°)))>{

·
Registered
26 Posts
been using my lazar for ten years with the same blades..............as long as you take care of them they should be fine. I was getting about 3 years out of my batteries but switched to a Milwaukee fuel last year and now when I come in and put the battery on the charger after about 10 holes the green light is on indicating I don't even need a charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts