Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight Monday 1-19-04 at 1600 hours I saw that the Township had put up baricades to block off the parking next to the Lakevillie Party Store(corner of Cotton and Jefferson).

I do not know for certain if they (Who ever they are) are closing down the parking there.

I'll get more information on Tuesday and post it.

I would hate to see you guys come up and not have a place to park.

By the way, I fished off Cotton Road today and the fish were very slow.

The Cotton Road Kid

·
Registered
188 Posts
Fished today off of cotton, the parking lot was closed down by the township of chesterfield after that quad went through last night. The mallard's at the end of the road next to the access are opening up there property for people to park on. They are charging $5 though (I believe to cover the cost of fixing the lawn in the spring). We went straight out and a little bit to the left. Saw about 5 largemouth a ton of perch and between the two of us kept about 40 between 9 and 11 1/2 inches. The perch did shut down for quite a while and we couldn't figure out why until a musky about 48 inches long wandered by. Killed the fishing, but was cool to see. Hope to head out again this week. Good Luck to All.
Scott

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hey "Scotto6700" -- never seen anything that BIG cruise through my fishing hole. Must have been an awesome sight! Glad you were able to catch a glimpse!

·
Super Moderator
3,241 Posts
they got the quad out today... that was very entertaining... very close to a being another stat.... 8 guys one 14' boat and one quad... they were fun to watch...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I saw that too......I was wondering what the heck those guys were doing over there. At least no one else got wet or hurt over it. Gotta be more carefull ... I guess.

G

·
How far offshore do you guys figure that quad was when it went in??

Do you think a guy could take a quad from the salt river to Cotton Rd.? or even Selfridge? if you stuck to shore? havent yet ventured out that far South, just moved to the area and I have fished just out of the Salt river, results are fair, would like to venture further.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
You MIGHT be able to take a quad from SANG to cotton right now... When I was out there last week, the ice was about 6" in close, but only 4" further out ... Watch those pressure cracks out there, they open up pretty good if the conditions are right. There was open water out there about 1/2 mile offshore too...Be carefull!!

Anyone know if the parking lot is still blocked off?? I was wondering if they did that while they were getting the quad out or this is some new administrative BS that the township is pulling. It is my understanding that the parking lot was private property.....If so...How do they have the authority to block it off??

I remember a few years ago when they fenced off the access to the lake.... Courts ruled that they didn't have the authority to do that.

Anyone have the inside scoop??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Deadbird and myself fished off of Cotton road on Monday the 19. The fishing was pretty bad. No one on the ice was having much luck either. We started out at about 300 yards off shore and then moved around a bit. We just got a few small perch that ended up back in the hole. The ice is a good 4 to 6 inches.

Here is a riddle. How many guys does it take to pull out an ATV from the ice? The answer is 8 guys and one 12 foot Jon boat. The price of admission was worth the entertainment ($5 for parking). 600 yards off shore someone sunk a 4 wheeler in the ice. The morale of the story is don't go that far out.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cotton Road Parking lot next to Lakevillie party Store was still blocked off as of 10:00a.m. on Tuesday January 20th.

The KID stayed on shore today, the barometer was up but I did see a few guys straight off of Cotton at the jam who appeared to be catching fish(at least through the binoculars). Do not know for sure, just an opinion.

Work Hard FISH HARD!

The Cotton Road Kid

·
Registered
188 Posts
A buddy of ours did meet us out at our shanty monday night off of cotton to try and pull in our shanty. didn't work out!! He came down from the salt and ended up actually running down to selfridge and back. Didn't go in, but a little too risky for me still.

G

·
thanks for the replies, I definitely would be sticking close to shore, --not 600 yards out :)

I live on the salt river and it would be nice to be able to just run down the shore rather than trailor my quad, Like I said I am new to the area and learning my ropes, give me a couple of seasons and I will be doing alright.

PS --- the Cotton Rd. parking is still blockaded as of-- 0800 Weds. 1/21/04

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.