Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time out on the water this year. Went Monday from 1-6 and saw one perch. Water was milky but could see bottom. Tried two spots. Pretty much straight out. Should have tried real tight to shore but the dang wind was too cold when I was coming in.
Do not like the mush on the top of the ice. My mind tells me there is at least 6" of ice, but when you drop 2" in the mush, my heart does stutter a little.:oops:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Second time out on the water this year. Went Monday from 1-6 and saw one perch. Water was milky but could see bottom. Tried two spots. Pretty much straight out. Should have tried real tight to shore but the dang wind was too cold when I was coming in.
Do not like the mush on the top of the ice. My mind tells me there is at least 6" of ice, but when you drop 2" in the mush, my heart does stutter a little.:oops:
Thanks for the report - it is not looking good - fishing or ice report.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mudpuppys are neat, when i was a kid, i used to catch the small ones in ponds, and sell to the local kids, that was over 50 years ago.I have some footage on my phone, from two of them on my underwater cam, i had to move they stayed under my ice hole "guarding" my minnows, ticked me off, the one i bounced a sinker off his head he just walked away and came back...grrrrr......dont mess with my fishing man.........i had a nice perch come in, the mudpuppy grabbed him, he got away but i said, heck with this.....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dislike mud puppies also, however I believe they are a good indicator that the water is healthy.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I think its illegal, and why would u?
I was just going by what was in the MSU fact sheet:

According to MDNR, mudpuppies are a regulated species in Michigan. They have a closed season from November 15 to May 15 which is when most people catch them while fishing. When you catch a mudpuppy, please put them back.

If there’s a closed season, there must be an open season. It doesn’t say whether it’s an open C&R only season or not. Because they are not known for their sporting quality, I assume the regulated season probably allows for some to be kept.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Didn’t know there was a regulated season for them. Anybody keep a mess of them during the open season?
Me neither it is strange how its worded. I just think of the fishfly larvae they could eat and put them back. Some people, not me, put them in fish tanks as pets.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure when that MSU fact sheet came out but mudpuppies are now protected species in Michigan. Illegal to kill or take them. Below is from the current fishing guide:

The following shall not be taken or possessed except as authorized by the Director of the Department of Natural Resources: Blanding’s, spotted, wood, and eastern box turtles; black rat snake, Butler's garter snake, eastern fox snake, copper-bellied water snake, Kirtland’s snake, queen snake, smooth green snake, and eastern massasauga rattlesnake; boreal chorus frog, Blanchard’s cricket frog, pickerel frog, and Fowler's toad; mudpuppy; small-mouthed salamander, marbled salamander, six-lined racerunner, and western lesser siren; all reptile eggs; and amphibians and reptiles protected under Part 365 (Endangered Species) of 1994 P.A. 451. For further information check online at Michigan.gov/ Fishing or contact any Customer Service Center, see p. 65.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts