Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Cotton Rd. 12:30 - 5:30 approx. 400 yds straight out. (farther out than most everyone) 5 fow ice was 8" thick. Saw some nice perch on camera. Most were tight lipped. I used #2 firetiger jigging rapala with a red egg on the treble to bring them in and ficious jigs with wax worms to land them. Minnow action was pretty much nonexistant. Wax worms worked much better over spikes. I kept 2 - 8" and 2 - 9" perch. Lost a nice one (10 - 11"'s) right at the hole.

Water clarity is getting better. My camera battery died and I had to sight fish for a few hours. I could actually see the bottom and had fish bite a foot higher. I would imagine in a couple weeks it should be gin clear.

I'm not sure if the long walk out was worth it, but there was steady action all day and I saw / caught some decent fish.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Thanks for the excellent report...

Have a hunch that area is going to heat up in the next week of so. I'm going to give it a shot thursday and see what's shaking.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for your report.

My son and I were out from sunrise to 1:00 PM. Walked out a bit to the left of the access point (like 10 o'clock on a watch dial). Fished just over 6' of water. Ice was about 5". I fished a #2 firetiger and a #2 orange jigging rapala with minnows. My son, orange and orange/yellow teardrops with wigglers mostly. I kept 2 8" perch, he kept 2 8" perch and 8" rock bass and a 9" sunfish. My son caught way more fish. We probably released another 20 or so smaller fish. Couldn't quite make out the lures at the bottom through the milky water. I thought fishing had improved since my last trip out the Wednesday before Xmas.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
Thanks for the reports.
Let me add that a friend and I were out there from 7:30-12:30 yesterday (1/9) as well. We started at the Selfridge access and worked our way to Cotton Rd. and then back again. We fished in 2-1/2 to 5-1/2 fow. Threw everything at them, minnows, wax worms, spikes and wigglers on tear drops, spoons, and raps. Had to have caught at least 50 fish between the two of us with only three keepers, a 9" and an 8-1/2" perch and an 8-1/2" gill. Everything else was under 7". 3 fish came on minnows (1 keeper perch) and the rest hit spikes.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Great report, Thanks. I agree with Slammer....When the water clears the fishing will improve!
Good Luck, fellas and be safe!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you guys notice anyone coming from the salt river? Just curious if it's safe to come off river for access?

·
Registered
167 Posts
There have been sleds on the Salt. Not sure how the mouth is but I'm assuming the sleds have been going out to the bay as they usually do. If the river is thick enough, the mouth usually is to unless a bad crack forms. Sorry, that's all I've got for you. Hopefully someone can add.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts