Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a report for cotton rd. Also wondering if the water has cleared enough to bring the spear? Can you get out alittle futher than SANG? Either way is anybody else going to be out that way tomorrow, if so give me a shout.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
BigEye

check your PM box!

koby

·
Registered
419 Posts
In my opinion, averaging all the reports......I'd head out of SANG. But personally never on the weekend......too many rats out there, too much noise and comotion. I'd hit hit Tue.-Wed.-Thur. maybe. But thanks for all the reports fellas. Good luck and full buckets to ya's.;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fished Cotton Rd. with 2 other guys from 11:30 til dark on Friday. Moved 3 times til we started catching fish. We were out in front of salt river as far out as we could go (Ice blow out) on the edge. We kept 35 total and missed alot more. The action started after 2:00 and wigglers and minnows were the best.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Went with a buddy while he went pike spearing last night off the salt. He was one 1 for 2 and we took several nice perch right at the crack. Took a buddy with me this morning and went out a little farther. Lots of dinks, but only 30 or so keepers. One 11 two 9's and the rest 8's. Wigglers seem to have been the trick all week since the ice blew. Will be out again in the morning, will post another report. Good Luck to all

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just got home from SANG and the biggest fish I caught was about 5 inches. I fished from 8:00am until 1:30pm and tried everyting but the kitchen sink. The big ones were down there but they wouldn't bite. Everyone I talked to had the same story I did. Let me know if any of you guys had any better luck!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Fishnfeathers,
How was the water clarity? How deep were you fishing?
Could you actually see them down there?
Just wondering because I speared the big ones last that wouldn't
take the hook. Sorry to ask so many questions.

-LB :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the reports guys.......seems like them big-in's do the stare down alot on the weekends. Keep at 'em........or just spear 'em:D

P.S. two of my buddies went outta SANG Fri. night for the last 2 hrs. of light and took about 65 keepers between both of them, nothing under 9" was kept. Mostly came on wigglers and minnows but some on ken's spoons. Hope this helps. Good luck!!:(

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
everyone here please take note of mudpuppies last post

THEY DO NOT BITE DURING THE DAY

they will only bite at sunup or sundown

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everone, went to Mitchell's yesterday. Nothing to report. Heading to SANG today nopefully get on the Dusk bite. Let you know how i do.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Went out this afternoon in front of the salt, between two of us only ended up with about 30 fish in the 8-10 range, lots of dinks though. Set up a little shallower than normal (about 4 foot) wish I would have gone back out a little farther. Good luck everyone

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What were you using for bait? Where is the salt, is that straight out from the public access?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
IF you go out of selfridge, how far out, minimum, would you have to go to get into the weeds/fish??? Thinking about going there sometime this week...

·
Registered
419 Posts
At Selfrige there's not really much weed cover to speak of. Some patches of weeds scattered here and there. I usually like to fish at least 5 FOW or more so I head out a ways, maybe 300-400 yds. to start then move out and around from there. I would not cross the pressure crack right now though which is out there a ways. I dont usually cross unless some other guys are out there and its froze up tight. We've had off-shore winds pretty strong lately and I'm not sure the ice is even that thick on the other side. In fact just tonight to the North a bit at Cotton Rd. a couple guys got across that crack on their quads and went thru. Luckily one brave fisherman nearby saved their lives and the rescue team came as well. That's proof enough to me, I dont need to be crossing that crack and I highly do not recommend it either. Good luck !!;)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If you're looking for weeds, there are alot more just up the street at Cotton Rd. Really productive weedbeds to the left as you walk out and not too far out either... Sometimes the one pound sunnies are in there thick too...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was at Cotton Road yesterday and wondered if it was someone on a quad when I saw all of the rescue vehicles parked at the end of the road.

As for the report, the fishing was quite slow where I fished yesterday at Cotton. Everyone else I spoke with had much the same luck. I've tried several spots around this area (Brandenburg, Selfridge and the Coast Guard Station) these last two weekend and can say there are not many fish in the area. Last year's worst three days for the entire season are better than my only three days out so far this year. Where are the yellow-bellies hiding???

I'm throwing waxies, minnows and even putting out tip-ups for pike and walleyes. My totals are 17 perch (3 keeper size), 1 mudpuppy!

It was pretty neat yesterday seeing some huge bass swimming under us. We also fed a mudpuppy that was at the bottom of our hole two dead chubs. I can't believe he ate both and a dead shiner that we put down there. That was probably the best meal he had ever had.

Zob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got'em pretty good yesterday out of SANG. They would come in Swarms, at one point right off the bat had well over 100 fish under the holes. Alot of dinks but there plenty of nice fish in the mix. It did not matter for bait got fish on minnows, waxies, jigging raps. Ended up going home w/ 30 fish for two guys but could of took home two limits of fish > 9 inches. Little tip, if you go alittle while w/out fish put down alittle flash and they come a runnin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey man.....that's top secret information........only I'm supposed to know that trick. LOL ....... a jiggin rapala when given an intense series of swims and jigs brings 'em in like a magnet.;)

Good luck fellas ! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts