Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got all setup today with my two buddies. The field was wheat and is now plowed under. We were setup where I saw the birds yesterday morning, but of course they were stubborn yet again this early season. Seems to be a theme so far. Anyway, as we were picking up there was a small pile of corn in the spot 10 yards past our decoys. I never noticed it when it was dark out. There's a big oak dead center in this field so we decided it would be easy to sit in the blind there. These younger kids (16-17) have permission out here too. I know they did it because they don't have decoys, can't call, and just post up in areas and wait for birds to come. Should I confront them next time I see them? Obviously not in a bad manner, but I'm kinda angry because had a DNR officer decided to check us, I would've been in deep s***. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So I got all setup today with my two buddies. The field was wheat and is now plowed under. We were setup where I saw the birds yesterday morning, but of course they were stubborn yet again this early season. Seems to be a theme so far. Anyway, as we were picking up there was a small pile of corn in the spot 10 yards past our decoys. I never noticed it when it was dark out. There's a big oak dead center in this field so we decided it would be easy to sit in the blind there. These younger kids (16-17) have permission out here too. I know they did it because they don't have decoys, can't call, and just post up in areas and wait for birds to come. Should I confront them next time I see them? Obviously not in a bad manner, but I'm kinda angry because had a DNR officer decided to check us, I would've been in deep s***. What would you guys do?
I would just call the RAP line inform them of what you have discovered, just so the local CO is aware. Then I would just watch and if those other people are hunting the field, call 911 or the RAP line and have the local CO dispatched. At least then they will know the error of their ways...whether they learn from it or not is another matter.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
What he said. Cover your butt on this one. Documenting it before it becomes an issue would be best.

But tread carefully as not to get the farmer involved and lose the opportunity.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Might want to change that "know" to a "think" because you actually do not know for 100%. But like the others said if your that worried about it call a CO

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 100% sure it was them. Know for a fact, these kids don't know how to hunt at all. I'll call the CO. I want to remove this corn, it's a good area to hunt but I know you need to wait 10 days. I was livid this morning.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called the DNR and he said talk to the landowner and see what he says. He's a really cool guy and I think he'd be understanding but I also don't want to catch him on a bad day and lose our rights to the property. Why can't people just follow laws?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
LOL...I would offer them a waterfowl identification tutorial. Mighty big (and loud) pigeons...

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
You let them know that they are being watched. You gave them the benefit of the doubt now it's up to them to obey the law or face the consequences of their actions.

Reactions: mbirdsley

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My buddy did through text. I have no idea who they are. Hopefully they take care of it and we don't have any further problems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's entirely possible they have no idea what they're doing. They probably bait deer and figure that's the easiest way to hunt anything. Instead of just getting furious, try actually talking to them (texting is usually frustrating at best if you don't know someone well).

If they won't see reason, inform them that baiting waterfowl isn't just a state violation, it's a federal violation as well and that the CO's have been informed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
They may tag that field unhuntably because it was possibly baited. Which means no one can hunt it just like the feds due on turned crops that aren't harvested.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was told to inform them and did. Removed the corn and the DNR didn't see any issue with it? Apparently it's only one pile in the field. Not worth it to hunt anymore because they hunted it 5 straight days.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
If you call the RAP line be prepared to be told that the area is off limits for 10 days, including to you. If you don't call the RAP line they COs would just as well assume it was you that did it, and you may not even know that the COs could already know the spot was baited. I would call the RAP line just to report it, noting that you know it was just a bunch of kids. Then I would try my best to talk to the kids and try to talk some reason into them. I agree with some of the others that it's possible they have no idea what they're doing. It's no excuse, but a consideration when deciding what tone to use when talking to them.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called the rap line last week. I did what they said, and I wouldn't bother hunting that field again anyway because the kids hunted it 5 straight days and sky busted.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I called the rap line last week. I did what they said, and I wouldn't bother hunting that field again anyway because the kids hunted it 5 straight days and sky busted.
And the award for first sky busting reference of the year goes to...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts