Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

TY in advance for any helpful info.

Dad passed away in March at 94. Good thing, he had little left mentally and physically, and was a strain on Mom, 95, having to care, cook and think for him.

The greatest gift he gave me was introducing me at a young age to the outdoors, fishing and hunting.
I will be forever grateful for that, as they are my passion. Even during those times when fathers and sons don't see eye to eye, we hunted or fished half the weekends of the year. He was a great partner, and we rarely were skunked.

Now, as I sort thru his gear, I find that certain lures, tackle boxes (he had 6 large ones and many small ones, my guess is near 1,000 lures), rods, and hunting gear, trigger great memories. While I hate to depart with his stuff, he is not coming back, and I am loaded with most everything I need. I am in the process of having a huge fishing-hunting gear sale.

I came across a large amount of his stream/river fishing gear. Not ever having a good feel for that kind of fishing, he always outfished me, and I became a boat fisherman for salmon and trout.

Included were plastic boxes of corkies, I think they were called.

I haven't heard anyone talking about corkies in decades.

Are they still used, or have they succumbed to new technology and techniques?

I am using this site to list his hunting gear, with great results. but I don't seem to see where fishing gear for sale can be posted. Is there a thread for that? If so, how do I find it?

Again, thank you for any info.

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY jeff!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I have about 4 in my pier/beach box. They came from my Dad’s tackle box as well. But he never taught me to use them as he preferred casting with me, or simpler classic red&white bobber panfish set ups.

I read a location specific Rx for them here recently, but found too much current to wanna try them in conjunction with that suggestion. Great Lakes keep going up.

But am thinking about trying them this Fall for Steelhead, with some Crawlers. The one time I have in the past, I wasn’t sure how to rig one up — cuz the ones I have are fluoro orange. Then as I stopped for bait, the only thing available were those odd green Crawlers. Though I kinda doubt it would matter a ton, things seemed to be moving quite a ways from a ‘natural’ presentation.

I finally settled on spotting the bright orange Corky at the middle of the leader. But I really couldn’t tell if it would actually be able to lift the crawler off the bottom. So next time I wanna get a more appropriate color to rig right at the hook, and maybe use it along with a worm blower too, as I am also skeptical those can actually keep a crawler off bottom for very long on their own.

And will probably mess around with using those old bright orange Corkies with some spawn instead.

Probably a thread for the Pier/Beach forum rather than Streams/Rivers, but have also thought about dialing these in for use in cold water Trout lakes inland.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi B

Thank you for the insight. good luck trying them
Dad would be catching fish while I would be cursing as I retied my line after breaking it off on logs or tree branches - haha

I will check the pier/beach forum

Don

·
Registered
558 Posts
Corkies. Work fine by them selves/like a bead. Like them ahead of yarn in dirty water. Clear water blush ahead of pink/white yarn was a good one.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Lost my dad in December age 64 in a hunting accident. Just starting to think about getting rid of some things of his I cant use with mixed feelings.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Corkies. Work fine by them selves/like a bead. Like them ahead of yarn in dirty water. Clear water blush ahead of pink/white yarn was a good one.
i used to, fish that rig below 6th. st. 40 years ago, one day i waded out to fish by one of my river buddies, said to him, " how they biting,, he said, not so good, see um rolling, no takers, i said what ya using, he said, orange yarn he said, what u throwing, chilly chokes i said, well two casts later n two hookups, my friend alonso said, give me one of those chilly chokes, i waded down stream to him, he looked at my rig ( a green floater with a piece of red yarn 4" below it), he said that looks like a little green frog with a red ass hole,.. i miss my friend, but when ever i put on a green corkie, i smile n think of him

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Lost my dad in December age 64 in a hunting accident. Just starting to think about getting rid of some things of his I cant use with mixed feelings.
Sorry for your loss. That is terrible, especially unexpectedly.

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
I used Corkies a lot when fishing at Tippy for Skams. And Wobble Glos. But I haven't really used them much in years - I have all I need of both. They did produce fish, but seemed to work best in slightly murky water, vs clear water. I fish the Ausable most of the time, now, and they don't seem to get more bites, there. But I use Corkies with spawnbags. Maybe I just need to drift the Corkies? I'll have to give that a shot.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I used Corkies a lot when fishing at Tippy for Skams. And Wobble Glos. But I haven't really used them much in years - I have all I need of both. They did produce fish, but seemed to work best in slightly murky water, vs clear water. I fish the Ausable most of the time, now, and they don't seem to get more bites, there. But I use Corkies with spawnbags. Maybe I just need to drift the Corkies? I'll have to give that a shot.
Since I started running floats I dont run corkies wobble or spinnies as much but they all sure had there time and place. I cought probably 180 of my first 200 steelies back in mid and late 90s on them. Frog water in the winter with spin n glo with a few waxes drifted has cought me sooo many steelies. Wobble glo in the fall is still hard to beat. And corkies can be deadly at any time tipped or clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts