Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed up to the Au Gres/Tawas area earlier today to get some surf fishing in before the Michigan game started (if i knew they were gonna play like that i would have kept fishing). My bro and i ended up going 0for0 on spawn. Others along the shoreline did the same and we only seen one fish netted by the boat that seemed to like holding our hands while we fished. They were literally 100 yards from shore and maybe 10yds from our lines. Gotta love salmon season :rolleyes::rant:... Anyways on to the question. The setup i was using was a 2ounce pyramid sinker free-sliding on the mainline, a barrel swivel, then around 4-5-ft of 6pound fluoro. leader, and around a #6 sized hook. On that leader i was using a dime or smaller sized corkie to try to keep my bait in the "strike zone". Problem was when i put the setup in the water next to me to see what it looked like the corkie would float near the surface and the sac would sink to the bottom. After a while of tinkering with it, i used a piece of rubber band to tie above the corkie to keep it down near the hook. Now my question is, is there another way of keeping the corkie near the hook that maybe i overlooked or is this a way that others use??? Or should i forget about a corkie and just throw in some floating beads next time i tie up my bags??? My wife and i are headed to manistee in a couple weeks so i kinda want to get this surf thing down before we head up that way. And its been a while since she has gotten to fish, so the pressures on to get her into some. Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I headed up to the Au Gres/Tawas area earlier today to get some surf fishing in before the Michigan game started (if i knew they were gonna play like that i would have kept fishing). My bro and i ended up going 0for0 on spawn. Others along the shoreline did the same and we only seen one fish netted by the boat that seemed to like holding our hands while we fished. They were literally 100 yards from shore and maybe 10yds from our lines. Gotta love salmon season :rolleyes::rant:... Anyways on to the question. The setup i was using was a 2ounce pyramid sinker free-sliding on the mainline, a barrel swivel, then around 4-5-ft of 6pound fluoro. leader, and around a #6 sized hook. On that leader i was using a dime or smaller sized corkie to try to keep my bait in the "strike zone". Problem was when i put the setup in the water next to me to see what it looked like the corkie would float near the surface and the sac would sink to the bottom. After a while of tinkering with it, i used a piece of rubber band to tie above the corkie to keep it down near the hook. Now my question is, is there another way of keeping the corkie near the hook that maybe i overlooked or is this a way that others use??? Or should i forget about a corkie and just throw in some floating beads next time i tie up my bags??? My wife and i are headed to manistee in a couple weeks so i kinda want to get this surf thing down before we head up that way. And its been a while since she has gotten to fish, so the pressures on to get her into some. Thanks in advance for any info

Sounds like all you needed was some floating spawn sacs and you will be all set. If you don't know what they are, I'm talking about the little colored Styrofoam balls they sell with the spawn tying materials. When you tie up your bags put 6-10 in there and you'll be all set.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Either peg it with a small toothpick or wrap the line through it one time. While fishing alewives often I will peg my corkie(if im using one) about 3-4 inches from my bait. Most the time while fishing spawn I normally use floaters in the bag. Unless I am fishing chunks of skein. Then its corkies or small thill bobbers.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
How much surf did you have? That sounds like a LONG leader bro! Sometimes putting a small split 6-12inches from your bait helps, and I would just run floater bags.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Sounds like all you needed was some floating spawn sacs and you will be all set. If you don't know what they are, I'm talking about the little colored Styrofoam balls they sell with the spawn tying materials. When you tie up your bags put 6-10 in there and you'll be all set.
:yeahthat: ...and run a 2-3ft leader.

·
Registered
830 Posts
With floating bags, I'll fish an 18-24 inch leader without a splitshot, or a 36-48 inch leader with a splitshot. The long or short leader will depend on what is causing me fewer tangling problems depending on current rips and surf conditions. Except when under a bobber, I always use corkies with alewives, and never peg them; but I fish very small corkies. The small corkie is not for floatation, but color. A corkie that is compared to a dime is fairly large.

With non-floating bags (river leftovers) or skein, I fish small corkies from the piers or surf; but as a rule, in the channel. The current keeps it near bottom, and again; I don't peg it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks for the info guys. My bro was actually running a shorter leader and like i said he had the same luck. I just figured that with the water being CRYSTAL clear like it was that a long leader would be the way to go. I have some of the styrofoam beads but didnt put them in the bags i tied up for the trip for one reason or another. Either way i have some good info to go by for the next trip. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
If you are using skein, and don't want to use a corkie, you can tie up 4-6 floaters on a small bag and bury it in your skein. Just put the hook point through the netting and bury it inside your spawn. Generally speaking on leader length, the rougher it is, the shorter the leader. The long ones have a way of getting tangled. Capnhook

1 - 8 of 8 Posts