Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know several of you guys have made adaptors for the Lazer augers. Whats the best set-up you guys have found works best? I have seen a adaptor for sale a meijers last year, but seemed a little pricey.
I've seen various set-ups (with flat disc, pop-out prongs, etc)
Anyone making them on the side to sell?
I was thinking of picking up a cheapo 18v drill combo to use for this purpose.

G

·
I bought one and just tested it on our landscaping pond. I bought it for $20 dollars and it is just a small set towards a power auger. Maybe next year I will get a real auger...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This is a novel idea...I have a gas auger but lugging it around is a pain so I usually take the hand auger....I also have a Snap On 18 volt cordless drill, 4 batteries and a 12 volt charger...a welder, a chopsaw, some scrap and a little time and hmmmmm....
beware though...from past experience ni-cads do not like to be left out in the cold..it shortens their lifespan......and at $115.00 a pop for batteries an expensive lesson....

lkmifisherman

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Expensive??? Are you guys NUTS?????????

I bought one from Ebay, it was $14.95.

Whatever you do, don't by that Nimrod one, flat out garbage.
I'll try to find a name on the one I got.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
duckman#1 said:
I know several of you guys have made adaptors for the Lazer augers. Whats the best set-up you guys have found works best? I have seen a adaptor for sale a meijers last year, but seemed a little pricey.
I've seen various set-ups (with flat disc, pop-out prongs, etc)
Anyone making them on the side to sell?
I was thinking of picking up a cheapo 18v drill combo to use for this purpose.
You cannot do this with a "cheapo" drill.
You need lots of TORQUE.
I have a Ridgid18V Hammerdrill, with 6" lazer. It goes through the ice faster than any gas auger I've seen.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bill Bonney is right about the cheapo drill. A buddy of mine tried this with a drill from Harbor frieght. One hole and the motor burnt up! We now both have 19v craftsman drills and they work great. Our adapters use the end off of a plastic wire reel for the protection to keep the auger from going down the hole. If you don't use something round so it doesn't catch on anything than it must me free spinning. A fixed side rod will tear off a finger. I just saw the "nimrod" at Gander Mountain it was $20 and side handle was $20 too. That's $40 for something you can make yourself for less than $10.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw the nimrod and thats why i was asking what works best.
As far as cheapo drills, i was hoping a 18 volt one would work. However I do have a 19 volt craftsman I could use.
That $14.95 one off ebay...how much did they charge for shipping? Sometimes the seller adds a couple of bucks to the shipping.

Can someone post some pics of what they made? (without using a welder).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you want to pay for shipping you can have mine for free. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. My drill wouldn't to the job.

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
They will burn your drills up eventually. We have burned up 24volt Bosch's,and countless 18 volt dewalts.Not including the dewalt 987,988's, these ones are our new guns, and haven't been in sevice long enough yet. The new dewalt 18volts have an all metal housing in the front,and 550 in#'s of tourqe. Well built for the task imo, the same would go for the 18vlt bosch brute force. We only use 5" lazers on bits that we have made here local. You must run them on lower power. The larger the drill you put on them the more tourqe it takes to turn it,especially the last inch ,or so, you all know what I'm talking about.When it's -20,and your in the country next store the last thing you want to see is the front end of your drill shear off, been there,and done that. Now I always carry a backup:lol:. If your a contractor, or someone that use's a cordless alot,and therefor replace's them every year,or so cordless is the way to go. If however you don't plan on spending 200 bucks ,or so every other year stick with hand,or gas. All of this is also dependant on how much ice you are going to be drilling with it. Hope this helps you in your quest

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
the best way to use the nimrod (I think they named it after the people that would actually buy it..oh me) is to leave the auger handle on...leave the drill at home...locate your fishing area...and then throw that hunk of worthless crap at the ice over and over until it makes you a hole

Joe

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought the Ice Master Drill Adapter last year to check it out and as far as I'm concerned it'd be the ONLY one to get if you want to go this route.

This is the adapter that has a collar with a "bungee" cord that wraps around your drill so you don't lose your auger head through the ice.

I "did" use it with my 8" Laser and 18 volt cordless Skil drill - NOT REALLY RECOMMENDED but it DID make holes in 8" of ice. With a higher quality drill and a 6" Laser, you could probably pop holes easily all day long.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pulled up this thread from last year hoping some other people may have "Engineered" thier drill adapters for cordless. I bought a Nimrod at a Meijers clearance last year for $12 and it sat in the shop all summer. Last month I found it and couldn't remember what the dog-gone-thing was. I installed a 1/4"x1&1/2" roll pin in the top hole followed by a 3/4" washer. Then drilled a 3/4" hole the the plastic lid off a 3 gallon bucket. Then another washer. The free spinning lid shouldn't burn a hole in my suit if I get too close and the rollpin and washer won't allow the auger to fall through if it comes unchauked, I hope! Anyone come up with any other BRIGHT ideas?
Last minute mod. to the Nimrod.
Didn't like the way the bucket lid flopped around so I cut a 3" lenght of 3/4" PVC tube to fit between the bottom washer and the collar of the auger. Chauked it all up on the drill and it works just fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your familiar with manual ice-augers then you know 6 inch is alot easier and faster than a 10 or even an 8 inch auger. That being said I purchased a 6 inch Mora this yr for that purpose, wanting to move around alot. With that purchase I also got an adapter (from Gander). I have a Dewalt DW954 14.4v model and on a full charge it works great for the first 5 holes in 4-6 inches of ice. The 6th hole didnt make it. Had a back-up battery and the numbers didnt change. Thought about getting a more powerful drill. The drill is about 5 yrs old give or take a yr. My over all opinion its nice for under 20 bux. Just get one that has some kind of safety feature on the adapter or you will lose your auger from seperation from your drill. - kp

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have buddy out at Kent that has been using one this year and
I think it is pretty cool. Silent and goes thru like butter in the 5" to 6"
easy stuff. I seen him drill a dozen holes without chaging the battery out.

His setup is a 5 inch lazer and a 19.2 volt dewalt along
with a 2 gallon lid modified that goes a foot below the lock on bolt.

But with the type of ice we have had this year,
any hand auger is not a problem at this point.

Mattt

·
Registered
206 Posts
You need to use a good quality 18v with the low torque switch, that is the key. Only seen a few out there with the switch I know Bosch makes one and I believe the skill firestorm as well. While the skill is not "construction Grade" it is a lower cost alternative that will get the job done. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stopped yesturday at the local Bait&Beer store for a pack of smokes and weekly B/S sesson only to find out that there were some guys STILL fishing the channel just around the corner. Buzzed back to the house and grabbed my cordless and back to the channel I raced. Sure enough there are 1/2 dozen ole timers out there fishing. With drill in hand, I walk toward the bank only to find a 2x12x12 laying on the ice. Caution to the wind I walk out to where the boys are. "What the Hell ya got there?" they ask as I get ready for the first test. Mind you, these boys use spuds or 4" augers and are a day-or-two older than me. I swing the secondary handle around to 180 degrees and BUMP the trigger about 4 time on low gear and I'm thru. The test was done w/ a 5" Mora with an industrial 18V Craftsman 1/2" in low gear. Everyone stopped fish to try my new toy. After about 2 dozen holes, the ole boys agreed that this is a slick toy. Of course it would have been a better test if the ice was thicker. Took my fat little 250lb butt home and stayed there, I'm not real comfortable fishing on 1&1/2".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts