Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ended up talking to my grandma and telling her about how I felt about the incident friday night and she told one of the superiors over there about it and he talked to the two cops that stopped me and they ended up stopping me again last night and Keith apoligized for not telling me why he was stopping me. He told me about how they have been doing alot of work with the DNR trying to catch poachers. This made me really happy because I have been trying for a long tme to get the DNR to do something about the poachers out here, it's nice to finally see something being done. He told me all about how they are catching these guys and I thought it was pretty cool. So it did end up turning out good and Keith gave me his cell phone number to call if I ever see anythign while I'm out there:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's cool! Glad it worked out. It just looked like you were up to no good wandering around in the dark and they wanted to know what you were up to.:D

·
Registered
876 Posts
HH, im not sure why you were so suprised you got stopped in the first place. You were walking out of the woods at night with 2 dead animals, and were flashing a light into the field/woods. When promted for ID and a license you had none on you. As far am I am concerned, you are lucky you didnt get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
I hope you see there is a lesson in this HH. Don't jump to conclusions. The police were just doing there job.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
If you couldn't tell, I'm a cop. Not something I normally post on the boards but most have figured it out.

Last week I stop a vehicle coming out of the crack 'hood with expired plates. When asked for his license the fella says it is suspended and that he is a retired cop from a large area dept. I handcuff him and find a crack pipe in the car. During the booking at the station his crack falls out of his sock.

A few days before that a school calls the Family Independence Agency (formerly Protective Services) to report a child had been slapped by his father. The child abuse and Domestic Violence laws allow for corporal punishment so most of these calls are just kids getting back at the parents. When we arrive the kid has a hand print bruise from a smack the day before covering one side of his face. I take the kids and this homicide detective is waiting to see if the prosecutor is going to charge him.

My point....instead of complaining to your grandmother about their attitude towards you, you should be happy you aren't locked up (if 17 yrs old or pending Juvenile Court if 16 yrs old). If you had run across me your grandmother's position wouldn't have had anything to do with whether or not you were issued violations or arrested.

I know the examples above are far cries from your misdemeanors (trespassing on the railroad - it's a federal law most towns have adopted into their own and no signs are needed or warnings [I know because a few weeks ago I arrested the fella who thought it was an ATV trail who now has a $150+ tow bill, a trespass ticket and a unlicensed vehicle ticket] and not having your hunting license in your possession).

And if you really wanted to be fair to the cops you should have demanded that they right you the tickets. That would be fair since you complained on them....right?

There's another post going where the thread starter doesn't like that the cops aren't patrolling the neighborhoods. I bet he'd be happy to have these guys stopping everyone in his neighborhood and giving them the third degree.

Just something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Points are well taken Pat... don't be too harsh on HH as I think he took a fair amount of criticism in his previous thread. I am glad he sees that there was a valid reason for the stop, and took the time to set the record straight.

I do understand the defense of your profession. Seems that cops, and hunters (aka slobs) that might have shot a "small" 6 point bucks are open game on the boards lately.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I didn't mean to be harsh, just realistic in hopes of making folks think about it from the other side. HH is young and still developing. Hopefully these points will provide some guidance for future encounters. :)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I didn't ask for another lecture, I was jsut telling the outcome of everything.

Melon ~ Again, I wasn't "shineing" any lights into fields or woods.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Shane, if Gunrod was giving you a lecture you would know it..... He was trying to help you as most members here have been doing. I hope his words and many others do give you some guidance in your future endeavors.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
I also agree. Just because you cried to your G-ma doesn't mean you were in the right. Sounds like you just used "who you knew" to get a forced apology. Way to go.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It seems to me the Kid was just trying to "clean up" a little on this thread after the heat from the original thread.

Maybe its time to cut him some slack.

Maybe enoughs been said on this topic.

Peace to all

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
HH, thanks for the "rest of the story." I know that you did not want another "lecture" and I commend you on even posting anything more about this story knowing how it went in the last thread. I hope that you take the lessons that you learned: about the license, the job of the police, the response by members to your first post, etc. and do something constructive with it all!! I imagine that you see that you were lucky to have not gotten a ticket and that it probably was in part to "who you know." Regardless, I hope that you continue to hunt and trap and that you do so according to the rules of the law.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts