Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never ran copper before and am thinking about adding 2 more rods. How do you know how deep it runs? Does it go deeper with the heavier test? Thanks

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yes. The 45 runs deeper than the 32.

Blood run tackle has the best copper on the market that I know of.

I am switching most of my lead to copper. I only now have two 5 colors and a pair of 2 colors the rest is now copper.

Jim

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've boated fish on both copper and lead other then the stretch what is the difference?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think it is the action and the depth curve. Out of 22 fish landed last week in GH in 3 trips, copper hooked 18 of them. I even ran the exact same lures on the lead side of the boat just to see what would happen.

X3 on Blood Run.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im looking at takeing the copper plung myself but 150 ta 200 a crack per reel hurts a little want to add 2 200s and 2 300s to start to make an even 1000 ft spool any suggestions on reels that dont break the bank would be helpfull but if not ill save for okuma clr-53s for the high gearing or shimano's telk. 700s

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thanks. I've boated fish on both copper and lead other then the stretch what is the difference?
Copper has a more favorable dive curve. 150' of 32# copper dives about equivalent to a 7 color lead core. 300' of 32# copper wiggles down close to 60 feet. Where a full core hangs out around 40ish.

My understanding is the 45# copper is about a two to one versus lead.

My 300 copper is on a plums convecto 45 with 30# power pro backer. I actually still have room on the reel.

My 200' is on a mitchel riptide reel I bought many moons ago. That has mono backer and still has mucho room on it.

If you are looking for good customer service check with Brett's place on the bay and or h2o tackle. Brett or darrin will take care of you. Tell them six shooter sent you.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The Bloodrun 32# dives at a rate of; L * .2 = depth. or, 300' * .2 = 60' down.
150' goes 30 down and so on.
A 250 45# will get you around 70', and a 300 45# will get around 70' down.
It is all relevant to what you are pulling, and these numbers are based on spoons. a plug will gain depth, and a Flasher/fly will loose depth.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Im looking at takeing the copper plung myself but 150 ta 200 a crack per reel hurts a little want to add 2 200s and 2 300s to start to make an even 1000 ft spool any suggestions on reels that dont break the bank would be helpfull but if not ill save for okuma clr-53s for the high gearing or shimano's telk. 700s
Okuma Convector 45's or 55's work just fine for copper rigs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Oops, what I meant was; the 300 45# will go around 80'

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I will also add that I've used the Bloody Run copper and it is light years ahead of the original stuff we tried some 10 years ago. Much more forgiving and user friendly.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Blood Run copper is top notch. You can find them on FB or at www.coppertrollingwire.com I use their 32# for applications up to 300'. Very flexilbe and much more manageable than traditional copper lines. You can fill all your other line needs there as well. Great site.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I don't know anything about copper, but i want to set a rod up too.
can you tie the braided backing to the copper with a standard trilene double barrel knot ?, same with Mono leader ?, or does it take something special ?

thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
885 Posts
There are a few ways to do it.

I put mono on first and then tie that to power pro with an albreight knot.

From the power pro to the copper I use a 50 or 80# Spro swivel. This is important as the swivel is VERY small and will fit through the rod tips and also the line guide on the reel.

From the copper to the leader I use the same swivel and then use a a snap swivel at the end of the leader.

I also use a haywire twist to fasten the copper to the swivels and a small piece of shrink tube over it to make sure it guides smoothly.

I know many guys who just use a hay wire twist and then tie their knots to that loop and skip the skrink tube and swivels all together. It works and I have done back to back haywires when sectioning in copper, but I seem to be stuck to the swivel/shrink tube for backer to copper and copper to leader.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would the Daiwa 57LC work? It's about $70 with counter and handles Leadcore just fine. I'm interested in setting up copper as well - it looks like copper has a smaller diameter than leadcore as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it is the action and the depth curve. Out of 22 fish landed last week in GH in 3 trips, copper hooked 18 of them. I even ran the exact same lures on the lead side of the boat just to see what would happen.

X3 on Blood Run.
Were you running copper to a dipsy or straight back to a spoon?

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Copper just gets a spoon or flasher rig.
Dipsys can be run off mono braid or fine diameter braided steel wire but not off copper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Copper just gets a spoon or flasher rig.
Dipsys can be run off mono braid or fine diameter braided steel wire but not off copper.
I've mostly been a downrigger guy but have had some success lately with lead core. I thought that a dodger needed a short lead from a rigger or dipsy. Can you run a dodger at the end of 300' of copper?

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Yes you can. It will add additional drag and run a Tad higher but I've had good success with either a dodger or 11" hoothie running small spoons or meat behind them

I stick to about a 25' lead off my copper or core so it doesn't kill the action too badly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts