Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

COOOOME ON SOOOOMEBODY!!!!! Tell us what you’re catching (or not)

4553 Views 56 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  wyandot
I’ll start……Ive been out a million times and I catch neeeearly just as many when I’m shoveling snow as when I’m on the lake. Meanwhile some guy on here plucked the hairs out of some beaver he trapped and the fish went crazy over that. I’ve tried minnows, worms, wax worms, corn kernels with garlic, big jigs, medium jigs, little jigs, microscopic jigs, leaders, no leaders, 6 lb llibe, 3 lb line, fishing deep, fishing shallow, fishing medium, half a dozen different lakes, day after day, with dollar after hundred dollar thrown away……..ANNNNNND IM NOT EVEN FISHING PIKE OR WALLEYE OR TROUT…..I’m just trying to catch a freaking hand sized panfish!!!!

ANNNNND THE WOOOORST IS every now and then I’ve met a few really nice people that wander up to me to me to find out how I’m doing and what I’m using…..prolly because I really look like I know what Im doing and I even think I know what I’m doing…….SIIIIINCE I WATCH YOUTUBES NEARLY EVERYNIGHT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING THAT I AM DOING THAT DOESNT WORK, and I tell these people all the things that don’t work.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!! DAAAAMN DAAAAMN DAAAAAAMN

Well…..guess I’d better head to the lake again, now that I got that off my chest. Grumble Grumble Grumble..
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Good choice. dog days of summer and dog days of winter. I got on the ice twice before Christmas. 19 the first day, 4 the next. That's it for this season so far.
I'd go back and pound that area where you caught the little ones. The keepers might be fifteen feet away.
Soooo yep…l.went to the Boathouse place and bought some red spikes. Also bought a couple pink glow jigheads at Dunhams . The first lake I went to today, didn’t get a bite. Though they were right there on my flasher…..soooo I left and hit a second lake. And these panfish loved them. I caught a whole bunch of em. Buuuuut still no real size. Some were the size you have to look at to a second or two before deciding they’re too puny. Buuuut the thing is..,,.,I had a blast.
A spring bobber may make all the difference for you. Are you using an ultralight blank? Either way, this time of year larger gills don’t “hit” the teardrop. They’ll sit next to it for a minute and suck it into their mouth. You’ll never feel it or know when they’re there on a medium jigging pole.
Next time you’re out block the light and watch down the hole in conjunction with your flasher. That’ll make make you a bobber believer. If you’re just setting the hook based on what you see on your flasher you’re going to be snagging dinks and throwing your pole across the ice in frustration more than catching slabs.
Jimbo……not using a bobber at all. Just holding it. Still…..with the flasher you can tell when they are right on it.
Reactions: jimbo and wyandot
Get a couple spring bobbers and watch some videos. You won't believe the difference. Winter bites are totally different than any other time of the year.

Here a starting point. This style of bobber has always been good to me.

Jimbo……not using a bobber at all. Just holding it. Still…..with the flasher you can tell when they are right on it.
Reactions: wyandot
pannies school up. pop a **** ton of holes and fish em all til you find em. Its kinda first iceish still, id be looking at basins for suspending fish
Reactions: TK81
Wow….I didn’t know about those spring bobbers. Pretty cool. I’ll have to get a couple, however, my to rods are ultra light. But I’ll head back to Dunhams and get a couple.
For pan fish I have a couple of those cheapo ice rods with the plastic reel and a spring bobber. I'll jig it a bit, then set it down and just watch it for a few. Fish seem to bite right after I jig it and set it down. Sometimes the spring bobber will pop down and sometimes it actually rises. The rising spring bobber bites are very subtle. Gotta pay attention.
Wow….I didn’t know about those spring bobbers. Pretty cool. I’ll have to get a couple, however, my to rods are ultra light. But I’ll head back to Dunhams and get a couple.
Reactions: Papa Liver
What lake you fishing?
I’ll start……Ive been out a million times and I catch neeeearly just as many when I’m shoveling snow as when I’m on the lake. Meanwhile some guy on here plucked the hairs out of some beaver he trapped and the fish went crazy over that. I’ve tried minnows, worms, wax worms, corn kernels with garlic, big jigs, medium jigs, little jigs, microscopic jigs, leaders, no leaders, 6 lb llibe, 3 lb line, fishing deep, fishing shallow, fishing medium, half a dozen different lakes, day after day, with dollar after hundred dollar thrown away……..ANNNNNND IM NOT EVEN FISHING PIKE OR WALLEYE OR TROUT…..I’m just trying to catch a freaking hand sized panfish!!!!

ANNNNND THE WOOOORST IS every now and then I’ve met a few really nice people that wander up to me to me to find out how I’m doing and what I’m using…..prolly because I really look like I know what Im doing and I even think I know what I’m doing…….SIIIIINCE I WATCH YOUTUBES NEARLY EVERYNIGHT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING THAT I AM DOING THAT DOESNT WORK, and I tell these people all the things that don’t work.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!! DAAAAMN DAAAAMN DAAAAAAMN

Well…..guess I’d better head to the lake again, now that I got that off my chest. Grumble Grumble Grumble..
I use them on all my rods, even the UL's. Some guys are line watchers and do very well, but personally I prefer the spring.
Get a couple spring bobbers and watch some videos. You won't believe the difference. Winter bites are totally different than any other time of the year.

Here a starting point. This style of bobber has always been good to me.

One of the best fishermen and also the best winter Jig designer/painter I know goes even more subtle as do I when I can get out.
He simply takes the spring out of a cheap lighter and stretches it out a bit and run the line through the spring. I tried a spring from a ink pen also and it was ok but the spring from a lighter is better!
Sometimes the simplest things……
And there is no better feeling than seeing the spring rise….no matter what kind of spring bobber you use, because almost every fish coming up usually are my best!
Not sure where you are, but gas stations are never a bad place to look. Usually overpriced, but a fair number have bait
I haven’t tried wigglers. I haven’t tried Spikes either, but I’m not sure where I would get them. Dunhams and Meijers carry worms, crawlers, and wax worms. I don’t think I’ve seen Spikes though. There is no real bait shop around here.
Holy cow……I LOOOVE those spring bobbers. Those rock.
Bait Fish hook Food Fishing bait Fisherman
Bait Fish hook Food Fishing bait Fisherman
I enjoy pike, primarily. Have been catching several pike each outing along with jumbo perch. Caught a few largemouth. Fun season so far. Havent been out the past week due to flu but will get after them again on saturday.
Change that line to something clear and I'll guaranty you'll get more bites.
Yeah……I shouldn’t have prolly bought the green stuff. And in my other rod I have red…..sigh. Meanwhile, This 3 pound line is way too tiny for my eyes. It takes me all day to freakin tie anything or untangle it. I can’t see it.
Change that line to something clear and I'll guaranty you'll get more bites.
Think 3# is bad, try 2# floro. Or 1#.
You can’t see it and it rolls and twists. Impossible.

Keep it simple doughboy. Ice fishing isn’t meant to be stressful.
On the spring bobbers again. I do like mine sensitive enough to where the weight of my jig will drop the spring down about an 3/4”inch to an inch. It will then easily rise on an up bite or when you’re on bottom..
Keep up the good reports and I’ll keep on wishing we had ice

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman
I still have good eyesight for my age but anything less than 4 lb. and I have a tough time when you have low light conditions even with good lighting in my shanty. I just take a few rods with light line so if one line breaks I just grab another. Good luck out there.
Reactions: jimbo and rh2000
Hunting whales over dare, smerch so far.
Water Vertebrate Fin Underwater Fish

Automotive lighting Gas Mobile phone Gadget Automotive tire
Toasty fun.

I just went out in 30 mph winds. That’s kind of suucked. Not sucked like Erik changing a serpentine belt and scraping his knuckles, but in a cold windy day way. I drilled my first two holes and turned back around to see a small black dog running out to play with me. That made me smile. But then I saw he wasn’t running towards me but away from me. That made me frown, But then I saw he wasn’t a dog at all but my freaking empty drill bag blowing away. It ended up on shore prolly 500 yards away. I wax gonna ignore it but I couldnt. Soooo off I went. 20 minutes later I was back. I caught a bunch of little ones again and a semi decent bass. I lasted about an hour.
You think it's frustrating seeing fish on your Garmin that aren't bitting.....buy a camera and you can also see the expression on their face :oops:
21 - 40 of 57 Posts