Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

COOOOME ON SOOOOMEBODY!!!!! Tell us what you’re catching (or not)

4556 Views 56 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  wyandot
I’ll start……Ive been out a million times and I catch neeeearly just as many when I’m shoveling snow as when I’m on the lake. Meanwhile some guy on here plucked the hairs out of some beaver he trapped and the fish went crazy over that. I’ve tried minnows, worms, wax worms, corn kernels with garlic, big jigs, medium jigs, little jigs, microscopic jigs, leaders, no leaders, 6 lb llibe, 3 lb line, fishing deep, fishing shallow, fishing medium, half a dozen different lakes, day after day, with dollar after hundred dollar thrown away……..ANNNNNND IM NOT EVEN FISHING PIKE OR WALLEYE OR TROUT…..I’m just trying to catch a freaking hand sized panfish!!!!

ANNNNND THE WOOOORST IS every now and then I’ve met a few really nice people that wander up to me to me to find out how I’m doing and what I’m using…..prolly because I really look like I know what Im doing and I even think I know what I’m doing…….SIIIIINCE I WATCH YOUTUBES NEARLY EVERYNIGHT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING THAT I AM DOING THAT DOESNT WORK, and I tell these people all the things that don’t work.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!! DAAAAMN DAAAAMN DAAAAAAMN

Well…..guess I’d better head to the lake again, now that I got that off my chest. Grumble Grumble Grumble..
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Tiny glow/uv pink teardrop, 3# line, red spike. Bounce it on the bottom a couple of times, slowly bring it up a foot and a half. Holes 15/20 steps apart.
I've got $300 worth of teardrops I've collected over the years and have used the same one for 2 seasons now....
Least your out on the ice. I just finished replacing serp belts on a 7.3L. My knuckles are bleeding and my back hurts. Would rather be outside fishing than here fish or no fish!

Have you tried wigglers?
I haven’t tried wigglers. I haven’t tried Spikes either, but I’m not sure where I would get them. Dunhams and Meijers carry worms, crawlers, and wax worms. I don’t think I’ve seen Spikes though. There is no real bait shop around here.
Yeah Eric.,,,.there is that!!!
Reactions: Erik
Not that it is an absolute must, but do you have any ice electronics? They can really help put fish on the ice and avoid wasting time sitting in deserted water!

If you don't and don't intend on getting any, I like shallow weed flats early on in the winter while they are still green and full of life (6-10 ft). As winter progresses I work to the edge/base of drop offs (12-20 ft). Middle/Late winter I am out deep looking for suspended/roaming fish (25-40 ft).
My wife caught a bag full of walleye fillets out of our freezer a couple days ago. Other than that........

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yep Conk. I bought a Garmin 5 icefishing deal. I love it…. But now it shuts shows me fish that think I’m pathetic, I do occasionally catch a baby fish. They’re so cute when they are a three inch long perch. But yeah…..I keep movin if nothin on the flasher.
Depending what bodies of water your fishing, Navionics or LakeMaster chip for your GPS.
Reactions: motoscoota
Try the plastic wigglers…they work sometimes when fish are finicky!
I haven’t tried wigglers. I haven’t tried Spikes either, but I’m not sure where I would get them. Dunhams and Meijers carry worms, crawlers, and wax worms. I don’t think I’ve seen Spikes though. There is no real bait shop around here.
The Boathouse across from Otsego Lake.
I do best with Berkley Gulp Black Shad minnows-1.5'' long. With a #10 tungstin jig. clown or anything white.
Keep one of those baby perch and put it on a tip up. Try some 4 to 5" suckers on tip ups also. Drop some kind of rattle bait down and make some noise. Pound on the bottom. Walleye minnows will catch pike,perch,bass and Walleye of course. Had a 13" perch trying to eat one of my suckers Saturday.
Soooo yep…l.went to the Boathouse place and bought some red spikes. Also bought a couple pink glow jigheads at Dunhams . The first lake I went to today, didn’t get a bite. Though they were right there on my flasher…..soooo I left and hit a second lake. And these panfish loved them. I caught a whole bunch of em. Buuuuut still no real size. Some were the size you have to look at to a second or two before deciding they’re too puny. Buuuut the thing is..,,.,I had a blast.
Glad you caught something doughboy, even if they lacked a half inch. It’s better than the one 9” bass I caught out of the kayak 10 days ago.
I do have to ask, are you using a sensitive spring bobber or what.
A good bite this time of year is only moving your spring bobber about 3/16”. If it’s not sensitive, you’ll never see it.
A lot of times, that’s the difference between a guy that gets his limit and a guy that only gets 8

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman
Reactions: KenTrost
Try a good ole fish whistle, u can't beat it.
I’ll start……Ive been out a million times and I catch neeeearly just as many when I’m shoveling snow as when I’m on the lake. Meanwhile some guy on here plucked the hairs out of some beaver he trapped and the fish went crazy over that. I’ve tried minnows, worms, wax worms, corn kernels with garlic, big jigs, medium jigs, little jigs, microscopic jigs, leaders, no leaders, 6 lb llibe, 3 lb line, fishing deep, fishing shallow, fishing medium, half a dozen different lakes, day after day, with dollar after hundred dollar thrown away……..ANNNNNND IM NOT EVEN FISHING PIKE OR WALLEYE OR TROUT…..I’m just trying to catch a freaking hand sized panfish!!!!

ANNNNND THE WOOOORST IS every now and then I’ve met a few really nice people that wander up to me to me to find out how I’m doing and what I’m using…..prolly because I really look like I know what Im doing and I even think I know what I’m doing…….SIIIIINCE I WATCH YOUTUBES NEARLY EVERYNIGHT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING THAT I AM DOING THAT DOESNT WORK, and I tell these people all the things that don’t work.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!! DAAAAMN DAAAAMN DAAAAAAMN

Well…..guess I’d better head to the lake again, now that I got that off my chest. Grumble Grumble Grumble..
Jimbo……not using a bobber at all. Just holding it. Still…..with the flasher you can tell when they are right on it.
Watch yourself over those shallow weed beds. Cold weather is on its way.
Garmin striker 5
Did you buy a Vex?
1 - 20 of 57 Posts