Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some advice for getting rid of raccoons in an attic?
<----<<<

·
Registered
807 Posts
The first thing you need to do is make sure there are no young ones. That can complicate matters. It doesn't make it impossible, but can complicate things. Live traps baited with marshmellows work well. Sometimes a live trap will spook a coon when set in the attic. Also, if you set a live trap in the attic make sure it is no where near any wires. Coons have an incredible reach from inside most live traps. You could also set the trap near the access point to the roof. They can easily climb painted wood, brick, and television antennas. The thing is if you catch one I think you must destory it.

Another option is to find a ADC person to catch them for you. In the last couple of years I have seen several live trap wary coons. Another word of warning my father in-law took his time removing coons from his fireplace. It took them over a month to get rid of the fleas.

I am sure others will chime in with worthy suggestions too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Chances are the coon has little ones in your attic...live trap the sow then locate the little ones in your attic...then figure out how she got in and seal off....some people use mothballs to deter critters...look for any overhanging tree branches on or close to your roof,,,or a hole in your eaves

·
Registered
46 Posts
had the same problem last night. put some peanut butter on a slice of bread on the patio right by where he tore the vent up to go in the attic and waited with a ruger 10/22. sure enough he was eatin the peanut butter. no more racoons.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The little ones are often hiding in the boxed in eaves. Digging them out of the eaves can be a challenge. Micooner is right about sealing the access if you don't fix it others will come. Aluminum flashing is many times a prudent part of restricting access.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This post brings back the memory of something that happened to me 15-some years ago....

I was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom when I was awakened by some scratching sounds on the roof. The location seemed to be out in the middle of the roof but near a dormer. Didnt alarm me too much and back to sleep I went. Twelve hour work days have a way of doing that to you.

The next day I remembered the noise so went up on the roof to see what had happened.

I couldnt believe what I found. A coon(s?) had just picked a spot on the roof and tore through the shingles. Once through that, they chewed a hole almsot big enough to get in that night. Coon hair was stuck on the frayed boards and identified the culprit. :rant:

Needsless to say, he was dealt with accordingly and the roof was patched.

The lesson is, coons can be mighty destructive so dont shrug it off if they start working on your house.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some reading yesterday, and most signs point to a female coon with a litter of kits. I found where she is getting in, and it is indeed a hole in the eaves. My best estimation is that the young ones are about a month old. I read that they do not leave the nest for 8 weeks, and if you block the main entrance hole separating the mother from her young, a coon will rip your house apart.
Tough decision at this point. Should I trap or shoot the mom and tear apart the over hang of my dad's house, or leave em alone for a month, seal the overhang at night, and start trapping after that?
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Joe Archer said:
Tough decision at this point. Should I trap or shoot the mom and tear apart the over hang of my dad's house, or leave em alone for a month, seal the overhang at night, and start trapping after that?
Tough call...and a personal one.

I once had a nest of starlings...which I despise...in the eave of my roof. I climbed up there and found myself face-to-face with a nest full of little chicks. Being the big, mean, cold-hearted hunter and trapper that I am...I told them to hurry up and grow and get the heck out of there so I could patch the hole. I didnt have the heart to kill them...I just waited till they were gone and patched the hole up for good.

But coons? They can be real destructive....tough call.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Personally, with all the urine and scat that coons leave in a month and the fact that is one smell I despise, it'd be after them in full force. I don't like taking a mother and kits out but when you consider thousands in damages, well I don't have to think much longer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
my neighbor asked me to help with the same problem,i found the coons in the soffit,there pretty young and i dont know what to do either,i set live trap last night outside,and this morning my bait was missing(walleye heads)im pretty sure ill trap mom tonight,but dont know what to do after that.If i move the young outside somewhere close will she find them and relocate or just move them back in?Dont have a clue how they got in,cant find a hole a mouse could fit in.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Relocation is against the law, killing is not. Ultimately it's your decision and IMHO once a problem always a problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldnt be relocating,hopefully she would be doing that,i would just get the little ones outside.I wouldnt want to see them rot in the house,but i dont think i could kill them either.I might feel differently if it was my own house.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what it boils down to. If we kill or trap the mom, we have to tear apart the over hang to find and kill the litter. I think I'll let my dad decide.
I am leaning toward putting out some marshmallows, and a peanutbutter sandwich and tuning up my bow!
Can smell the dam thangs in his kitchen already!
<----<<<

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
If you harrass the mother, she will relocate her kits. If you get in the attic at night while she is out, you can snatch the kits and get them out. Stick the kits outside and they will cry and she will come running and wanting to fight. Generally after that she will take the kits and move off. I think waiting for the kits to get bigger is a mistake, they may imprint your house and come back grown wanting to move in, plus the smell and the damage would be enough to make you sick. The only reason I say wait till night to snatch the kits is that is when she will more likely be out to forage and not with the kits, and the kits themselves would be a little more active and easier to find. Lol, just becareful, a pissed off mother coon can be a big handful!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Relocating is NOT against the law, it has to be done on private property within the county you trap it in.

For babies, make a smaller cage in the back of your cage trap with chicken wire, put the babies in, and youll have mom soon. I have done this and caught the mother evry time, sometimes within an hour, even during daylight.

IF theres alot of urine and feces (feces can be very dangerous, they can contain raccoon roundworm eggs), your home owners insurance will pay for a professional to clean and fog the area to kill any parasites left. If you need some help with this let me know, its my job, and I work anywhere in the state for cleanup jobs.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
IncredibleHook said:
Relocating is NOT against the law, it has to be done on private property within the county you trap it in.
You have to be licensed to relocate

here's one rule from the DNR there's others but that site is so darned cumbersome

Live Traps

As a substitute for leghold traps, trappers may use live traps capable of taking only one animal at a time within 450 feet of an occupied dwelling and associated buildings during the legal time for trapping the target animal. Live traps must be checked daily. Any animal captured in a live trap must be immediately killed or released; it is illegal to take these game animals or protected animals live from the wild. It is also illegal to hold these animals in captivity.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Joe
If you get up in the attic and spread some moth balls around she will relocate her self and little ones else where. I have done it before, works like a charm.

·
Registered
471 Posts
FREEPOP said:
You have to be licensed to relocate

Oops, yea thats right, I can relocate but choose not to. Relocating wildlife also spreads disease.

I know a few tricks to get rid of the coons without mothballs and without trapping.

PM me if you need any help.

Chuck

·
Registered
807 Posts
A few years back before I had kids and went back to graduate school I ran an ADC business. I have personally witnessed somewhere in the area of 25-50 people who tried to get rid of coons using moth balls. It never worked. The thing is each animal is as individual as people. Knowing that I would have to say there may be a slight chance, but typically it doesn't work. One old sow actually would throw the moth balls around the attic all night. I was privileged to watch her for about 15 minutes. You should have seen what an arm she had! I have found out that more times than not the critter has to be removed.

I helped my father in-law with coons in his fireplace earlier this year. We simply waited until the coon left and then put caps on. This was in early March. The coon still comes back. Some days it will sleep in the empty bird bath and other days it will simply curl up on the wood pile.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I used to run a nuisance wildlife control company and live near you. PM me if you need any free help or would like some advice. I am free most days late afternoon or evenings. The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly where they are getting into the attic. The second thing is to figure out how old the young are. Those two things will determine the next actions. I probably removed 100+ female and kit combos out of attics/chimneys/walls... in my years in that line of work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts