Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else shares my pain but everytime I think I got a new hotspot for mink I arrive the next day to find a dang coon hanging out. It was cool at first to see my sets working, but then it got a little tiresome dealing with them. I had my girlfriend with me on Sunday and I said "heres what were gonna do, I'll put the bucket on the coon and you hold the bucket while I release it" She's from Berkley so everything we were doing was REALLY FOREIGN to the city girl. It freaked her out when the coon became a little unhappy and started growling. I just laughed and said, well as long as you dont let him out while I am releasing his foot we will be fine. I released the coon and all was well. I need to get my camera out so I can get some pics on here!! Any way of coon proofing mink sets? I am guessing theres probably not but maybe someone has a good trick!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Cap'n...

The only thing I know of is to blind set, or at least dont lure/bait. This wont eliminate coons but will at least not draw them in.

This November, I made two unbaited/unlured pocket sets on opposite sides of a dry creek bank. The next morning, I had a double on coons, as shown here....

And today, I got a double on skunks. Grrr....too much warm weather!

http://www.parlin.com/huntfish/deertrip/pic5060.JPG

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NC,
I've been releasing them because I don't like skinning them. I guess if I get a really big one I will change my mind and get one for the wall. Do you release the coons or are you keeping them? If you release them how do you do it? Once again nice pic. Why don't you shoot down to Oxford and be my camera man, and I will even take you to the Yacht Club for payment, all the finest refreshments are on tap there....soda too. The Yacht Club is our pike spearing shack, its become so popular theres usually a waiting list to get in.....it seats 8. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Cap'n...

Thanks for the offer. I have my own icefishing hotspot just 5-mins from my house, so I'm all set, thanks. Sounds like a nice condo shanty....8 people? :D

In regards to releasing coons, its really simple for me. I use a catch pole. You can buy nice sturdy ones from trapping supply catalogs for $25 or so, or make your own. Tractor Supply has "hog snares" that will also work fine, but I like the long handle for yotes on a drag, etc....when the catch circle is pretty wide and you dont want to get 2' away from the critter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Capt I am from Berkley and not everyone is "From the City":lol: Your girlfriend might be able to help you trap rats since we have those in Berkley!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not a trapper, but the subject of incidental trappings came up while we were in the shack on Sat. He uses a sheet of 1/2" plywood ripped to 4' x 4'. Put a door handle in the middle of one side and cut a small "V" on the bottom. Separate the critters leg from its body with the "V" and plywood and un-do the trap. He said that he mainly used it when someone's stray dog would get caught in his 'yote sets. I'd think that a smaller "V" would work for a coon.
Just a thought.
BFTrout

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi CaptainNorthwood,

When you decide to skin a coon, here is a secret that makes it a considerably easier task. Skin the coon immediately after dispatching it. I carry a little cable gamble. I hang it from a tree right in the woods. A cold carcass coon takes me about 15 minutes. A warm coon takes me 5 minutes.

From what I have been hearing larger dark coon are starting to bring a little money. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
First I want to Thank you guys that post on here. These are by far some of the Best Posts on the whole site. Descriptions, pictures, sharing of info and tactics. Living where I do I don't have the opportunity to do any trapping, so I live through your stories here. NC, Wild Bill, and the rest, your pictures are really what make your posts. Please keep them coming.

Now I have a question. I understand releasing animals trapped out of season. But why release the Coons, Skunks, and Possums? You would be doing ALL forms of wildlife a favor by removing some of these nest robbers from the woods and streams. So what can we do to convince you to take them out of the gene pool, so to speak? :grouphug: FRANK.

Bonz 54

It's like Christmas, with Guns...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Frank, glad the posts are entertaining and informative.

I learned from scratch from various trapping forums, and started posting stories and pics when I started having success....as a way of giving back, or as thanks. But now, this particular Varmint/Trapping forum has become a pretty active community and we all share in our successes and failures, alike. We are each others cheerleaders as well as butt kickers, when necessary. Thats the way I feel, anyway.

In regards to removing egg eaters and predators from the food chain, yes...I'm pretty sure all of us realize the benefit. Sometimes, due to sheer volume or time, wieght constraints, etc. I personally will release some. But in general, I do "neutralize" possums and such...and try to put them to good use, somehow. And there are legal and moral issues to consider....since one guys "predator control" is another guys "wanton waste".

I do feel very good about removing a few dozen coon, possum and canines from the area around my house. The turkeys and fawns, not to mention all the rabbits, ducks, etc....have got to be thanking me for the few extra good nights sleep they get from my efforts. And I'm only a drop in the bucket.

Combined, all the "real" trappers are taking tens of thousands (my guess) of predators out of the woods, and creating better hunting for everyone else....whether they even realize it or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts