Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just skinned a coon and I want to keep the skull and claws... The skull still has lots of flesh on it and I basically just cut off the toes in the middle of the pad. How can I get the flesh and everything else off them to have them completely clean??

·
Registered
625 Posts
boil it or put it in a hole outside, digging it up in spring after the bugs have gotten to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
clean off most of the meat, eyes out ect. Take a wire and go up into were the spine meets the skull and scramble the brain up abit. Then take a nice big pot ;I use a outdoor burner like the one you get with a turkey fryer. then go get you some arm and hammer powdered clothes ditergent and put a few scoops in with that. It will help degrease the skull and whiten it up for ya. Boil it for a few hrs then the rest of the meat will come off easier more less cooking it off. Then just let it dry out in the basement or something should turn out good. Thats what i do for my european skull mounts. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you're going after the extras... you can't possibly forget about that one special bone... probably the coons most prized posession.I hope I'm not the only one on here with a collection?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
thats funny I still collect those hillbilly toothpicks hey what breeding is that walker dog your running? Just got out of the hospital with a brandnew right hip joint, 3 months rehab and should be as good as new.LOL

·
Registered
234 Posts
stylish clover on the top, double pac-man on the bottom.

Ouch, hope you're feelin' better way before 3 months. It's bout as good a time a year as any to be laid up I guess.

Let me know if need someone to fetch dogs, I'll come down for a hunt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have been paying $35.-$40. / european mount on deer skulls because the taxidermist always does a better job at making the skulls very white. Well when I dropped off the 8 point I got this year he was applying "polycryllic" to the skulls at the time. So that is why his turned out better looking than the ones I have done. So I went and bought some at the home depot. Now I will be doing skulls myself. I have done a fox and it turned out good. The yote that I had, well I let it sit outside to long and the teeth were falling out. So hopefully I will be able to get another one this year to do. So try the polycryllic and see the difference it makes. Just paint it on.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have been paying $35.-$40. / european mount on deer skulls because the taxidermist always does a better job at making the skulls very white. Well when I dropped off the 8 point I got this year he was applying "polycryllic" to the skulls at the time. So that is why his turned out better looking than the ones I have done. So I went and bought some at the home depot. Now I will be doing skulls myself. I have done a fox and it turned out good. The yote that I had, well I let it sit outside to long and the teeth were falling out. So hopefully I will be able to get another one this year to do. So try the polycryllic and see the difference it makes. Just paint it on.

Super glue puts the teeth right back to stay.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here is a tool to help blast the skull clean, it is made with simple fittings and 1/4 inch copper line, connected to a water hose. It works great, just messy.

Here are results blasted onto a tree.

·
Registered
450 Posts
thats funny I still collect those hillbilly toothpicks hey what breeding is that walker dog your running? Just got out of the hospital with a brandnew right hip joint, 3 months rehab and should be as good as new.LOL
Hey mike glad to here everything went good for you. Ol zeke is doing good. Had him out the other night for the first time in over 2 weeks and he treed 2 dens, one coon, and a grinner:sad:, I figured not bad for being 6" of snow. I haven't been shooting many coons out since the price went down, only the big ones. Hope all is going well for you.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hi Eric Yeah been out of rehab a few days now healing good, hell i might be able to keep up with you young bucks when i am healed back up, at least thats what i am hoping for... this snow sucks for sure maybe this rain will wash some of it away,, wheres some pics?? lol those hounds always look good with the snow backdrop,,,keep em running we will have to get together in the spring for some runs... you too Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts