Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a coon problem, a cat, and a near useless live trap.
I have caught three coons in my garage and breezeway, and there is still at least one left. The havahart easy set caught two, and allowed two to escape. Now I have a coon that is trap shy.
I don't want to set a conibear because of the cat. Will a cat bother a cuff trap?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use a DP duke on a horse far I trap. The homeowner asked that I get rid of the coo s they has because they get into the horses grain and this can be potential fatal if the coons poop/pee In the grain. I planned on using 1.5 foot hold (flat hole sets along the fences) the only problem I ran into was the dozen barn cats that the owner loved so much. I invested in the Duke DP traps and use a mix of old grease from cooking and marshmallows and I catch one every time I set them. Never had a problem with the cats because the animal has to grab and pull the trigger instead of pushing it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My partner caught twp cats this past season in the duke dp it is possible...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have a friend that lives next to a metro park,he has trapped 41 coons in just over a month, he uses a live trap by his pond and duck coop.you are not allowed to relocate them here so they end up food for the Turkey buzzards,this is the first year in 30 years he has been over run by coons,,,he uses fish guts in the trap.
My nephew lives in Ida Mi he has coon problems getting his chickens,he tried all kinds of traps,because of cats and dogs.He just went mack to live traps with fish guts ,it is working fine so far

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you had a good live trap ? try pie tin full of water in trap. Cats wont enter and I have taken a few shy coons that went in,they love there water.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have good luck with a old tuna/cat food can with a little peanut butter in it and a few marshmallows. I flip the can upside down to ensure the trap goes off.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts