Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Where do you keep your fish when on the water???

• Cooler

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Deadwell\Fishbox

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Other..(Please Explain)

Votes: 6 9.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research for something. Where do you guys throw your fish when you boat them(i.e. while on the water)? Cooler, Deadwell(like a built in floor deadwell), or other????
Just curious..

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Couple boats I fish on we put them in a livewell (w/ water), some a livewell w/ ice (deadwell), and some in a cooler with ice. A big deadwell with ice would be ideal IMO as long as you had an on board hose to clean it out as it saves the most space. That said, in most tourneys you have to bring fish to weigh in via a cooler so you'd have to have a cooler aboard as it is...or a gunney sack;) .

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Coolers are portable and easy to clean. Fish wells are convenient on the water and a pain in the ass after that.

Why did the system let me say ass?? :SHOCKED: :hide:

·
Registered
225 Posts
The fishold in the deck of my Whaler is in effect a big insulated cooler (due to the foam-filled hull). It's all finished fiberglass with a small bilge pump and a through-hull plug. I put a block of ice in it and the fish. When I get home I pull the plug and spray it down. If it gets funky a little bleach and water clears things right up.

Roy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Since my boat is a bit smaller, I use my livewell as a dead well with ice. I just plug the drain so the melting ice can not empty out. I do wash the well out when I get home to keep the smell down but if I use it as a live well for standard fishing, I have to wash it out as well so not much different to me. Rick

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Unless I am weighing them in for a tournament, I bleed all my fish in the livewell first then they go on the ice. I really thinks it helps the taste of the end product.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a platform on the back of my boat that has hold downs for spong cords, throw a bag of ice in it and the fish right on top, when I get back to the dock, take cooler and all to cleaning station...easy as 1...2...3!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
res said:
Since my boat is a bit smaller, I use my livewell as a dead well with ice. I just plug the drain so the melting ice can not empty out. I do wash the well out when I get home to keep the smell down but if I use it as a live well for standard fishing, I have to wash it out as well so not much different to me. Rick
Same here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I heve 2 in floor Fishwells in my Sportcraft. We will normally put fish in one of the Fishwells. They are insulated, we normally add lake water to the well via a small bucket or the washdown pump with a coiled hose....... If fishing a Toury we transfer to a large cooler at the dock......

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Catch 'em, bleed 'em and into the cooler with ice for salmonids. As far as walleye and perch go, they get put on ice immediately in my sportcraft, but in my alumacraft I use the livewell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts