Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever do this?...if so where did you get you barrel and bolt from...just curious, i only see one company that has the parts and it volquersion or something like that, and its expensive for barrel and bolt, looks like you can buy a 17 hmr/hms for cheaper than converting a ruger 10/22....maybe im wrong?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I have only seen .17 mach 2 conversion kits. I would think that a .17 HMR would require a longer bolt travel such as that found in the old 10/22 Magnum.
I did a little research on the conversion as I have a few 10/22s but the general consensus I got from reading reviews and what not on the web was that there are a lot of problems associated with that conversion.
Magnum Research did make a semi auto .17 using Ruger actions, though I am not sure if it was a 17 HMR or a 17 mach 2.

If you find a kit, it would be cool though, good luck.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
1st of all you'll have to start with the 'older 10/22's', the ones with the barrel held on with 2 screws. The 22 LR could only be converted to the 17 HM2, not the magnum. You may want to read up on it & see if it's worth it at rimfirecentral.com. For the money spent & what you end up with, factoring in reliability, performance gains, & the rest I think I'd rather buy a new rifle. If I was to buy that new rifle I'd just go with the 17 HMR.

There are a lot of other improvements you can do to the 10/22 while still keeping it as a 22 LR. You could check at Midwayusa & Brownells for parts.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you want a 17, get a bolt gun.

If you want a semi, stick with a .22 Mag

What are you trying to kill and at what range?

·
Banned
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just seen that some kits were avaliable to convert a 10/22 to a 17 hms...and if it were convienant i may try it with an older 10/22 that i have that could use some refinshing etc etc...its the old v block standard ruger 10/22...but the only kit i found cost like 450...when i see hms/hmr going for way less....looks like a good round to take out coyotes and fox out

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
....looks like a good round to take out coyotes and fox out
There is no sense in light lining coyotes.

Sure, a 17 will kill them but ranges are limited head shots are advisable.

I am getting a 17 from a guy that thought t he same thing until it didn't do the job on yotes. Heck, a guest shot one of the dogs with a 17 and it was hunting the next weekend with the bullet still in it.

Accuracy and speed alone does not make a reliable varmint gun for yotes.

Now for prairie dogs...

·
Banned
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k...did some more research, and got a few emails back....apparently the 17hm2 conversion for 10/22 are a bit dangerous...voluquartsen...or what ever makes the only advertised conversion...midway, and a few other suppliers will sell the stuff seperately but not in a kit...due to liabilty issues...and the round difference in the hm2, and hmr is quite different...i suppose ill just leave it alone...cost seems to be pointless...better off buying a 17 hmr, or 223

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
You need one of these....although slightly more money than a 10/22 their reviews are all excellent. Be sure to check out the camo one and the spiral barrel option....You can buy the upper or the complete gun.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Rifles-.17_HMR_-_Complete_Rifle.html

The guy shooting one in the below video is an extremely accomplished marksmen and a good friend of mine. He manufactures suppressors in Cheyenne, Wy. Since he left the military he looks more and more like the caveman on the Geico commercials... :lol:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Shooting a 17 at 400 yards means walking them in just like I did at 240 yards with a .22LR (3rd or 4th shot on prairie dog).

But, a supressed semi would be hell on prairie dogs like they said as varmint hunters recognize the advantages that they provide.

I don't claim to be an expert on 17's (hell, I don't even own one yet) but, for all intents and puposes, they are a 200 yard gun at best. Toss in variable winds and effective range for one shot kills will be greatly diminished.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shooting a 17 at 400 yards means walking them in just like I did at 240 yards with a .22LR (3rd or 4th shot on prairie dog).

But, a supressed semi would be hell on prairie dogs like they said as varmint hunters recognize the advantages that they provide.

I don't claim to be an expert on 17's (hell, I don't even own one yet) but, for all intents and puposes, they are a 200 yard gun at best. Toss in variable winds and effective range for one shot kills will be greatly diminished.
im ok with 200 yrds in M.I...most my yotes have came on shot gun, using a yote round...works good...but hit one a 25 yrds or less...destroys the pelt pretty good...seen the 17 is a rim fire and figured it would work good for some around in s.e mi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts