Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing a ceiling mount range hood over my kitchen island where there's currently a hanging fixture on 3-way switches.
The hood will have on-board switches for light and fan, so I don't think I'll need the wall switches.
Is there a clean way to convert this set up to constant, non-switched power to the hood?
I do alright with basic circuitry until there's 3-ways involved. Please help me out if you have the expertise.

Also, it will vent through a sloped ceiling and scissor trusses, then through a 2 year old asphalt shingle roof (5/12). If anyone has experience with that, please advise, I want this to be a flawless, leak-less project so I want to learn as much as possible before it starts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've read this a few times.
Poking a hole in a roof is a challenge. Wiring on top of it that is beyond your pay grade...

Maybe pay up for the pro this time.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First you need to determine if the supply power is introduced to the light or the switch. If it's the light then it should be trivia, if the switch, it's maybe doable depending on whether you can/want to abandoned the switch. Also don't forget for the most part NEC requires "At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom", so you don't have to stumble across a room in the dark to turn a light on. Which might be why you have the setup you do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lewis,
Makes sense that would be the key; I'll get that checked out. Also, switched lighting and outlets are both present in ample quantities, so we're good on that requirement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I want to say that I'm not trying to be disrespectful.

But if you have a roofing buddy and a electric buddy, should be easy.

Yet, giving a guy the know how's of cutting a hole in a roof with no leaks after is no easy task.

Wiring can be easy or difficult. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
37,679 Posts
Range hood is a fixed motor and should be on a dedicated circuit. Hire a pro to do the roof install.

Reactions: Old Whaler

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The professional roofer who put a new roof on my 25 year old house in 2019 is one of my best friends. He will be installing the vent and he doesn't need or want me up there with him, but he has not done a range hood vent-- yet.. So I was checking to see if anyone had insider info for him.
Two more of my best friends, the guys I've been taking annual fishing trips with for almost 40 years, the guys I always help with their projects and vice versa, are an electrical engineer and an appliance repair / biomedical electronics technician.
Me, let's just say I have some experience in delegating work to appropriate, qualified parties.

My purpose in posting here was to see if I could find someone who has actually done a vent-through-roof range hood. I guess I should have just said "Anybody here ever install a range hood vent through a roof?", but sometimes when it's my roof, and I'm the coordinator, and I've got nothing else on my mind, I get a little wordy.

No offense taken, and none intended. Appreciate you looking out for me. Have a good night.

·
Registered
543 Posts
For a sloped roof you will need a pitched roof flashing to terminate the piping ( usually 4" ). Cut hole, screw down flashing, add storm collar and chimney cap and seal collar and flashing w/ mastic. Any H.V.A.C. supplier will sell a chimney liner kit, it's the same thing, you'll have to add the tar and flashing to your order and their pretty easy to install. The wiring sounds simple but w/out more info or a diagram/ schematic i don't have an answer.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Is it done yet? I was thinking about the electrical, and most lighting circuits are 15a and 14g wiring in series and possibly other lights on the same circuit. I agree with the vent being on it's own 20a circuit. Specs of the appliance should determine that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't even started, for several reasons. Will update when there's news.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts