Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some hunting show on TV this weekend and I saw one that was coming up filmed in Manitoba. I said yeah "land of the big boys" My daughter said why are they bigger there? I said well they are usually older deer. She then said are they bigger than at the cabin? I said yeah, then she said why? I said because the ones at the cabin are pretty mush all young and they never get a chance to grow. She said, well why don't we let them get older then and not shoot em when they are small? :help:

Ever have an 8 year old little girl make you speechless and feel like a real jacka$$????????????????????????????????????

AW

·
Registered
522 Posts
WOW:SHOCKED: I would have been speechless as well but in the same sense it goes to show its not rocket science when an eight year old can figure it out:rolleyes:

Mykass

·
Premium Member
30,833 Posts
weatherby said:
I think she may have a future in our DNR

???? WHOES DNR????

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
With that attitutude......please let her RUN the DNR and teach them!

Hopefully QDM isn't nixed at the mail in polls!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is simple that is for sure but why is it so difficult then? This is the first year I passed on bucks ever and it was hard to do because of the "did ya get yer buck this year" mentality the state of Michigan has ingrained into every hunters head. I like to shoot doe's thats not a problem but the antler thing has almost become a competition in this state it isn't the size of the racks here it is who has more in the garage that has caused this problem IMO. I am guilty of it as well so I am not pointing fingers at anyone for taking a buck of any size but when I watch the outdoor channel and I dream of free ranging monsters like you see on there it is frustrating because we could have it here and my 8 yr old little girl hit me right between the eyes with a dose of common sense. This was the first yr we ever did anything in terms of AR and the habitat work begins in a few weeks but I honestly do not think anything will change drastically until there are mandatory measures put in place to change it. A tough pill to swallow even for some who agree with it but I would like to arrow a buck that weighs over 200lbs in northern michigan someday. Maybe I'll consult with my daughter on where we need to cut and not cut this winter seems as though I make it too difficult and she seems to make it really easy :lol:

AW

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Adam Waszak said:
Maybe I'll consult with my daughter on where we need to cut and not cut this winter seems as though I make it too difficult and she seems to make it really easy :lol:

AW
Children have an uncanny way to cut right straight through the BS and get to the bottom line don't they? !

ferg....
It's because their minds are not yet cluttered with political correctness and useless facts :)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ferg said:
Children have an uncanny way to cut right straight through the BS and get to the bottom line don't they? !

ferg....
It's because their minds are not yet cluttered with political correctness and useless facts :)

Either that or she knows if we start now she could be killin 3.5 or 4.5 years olds by the time she gets of age :lol: Then I am sure she will have something to say to me about my 4 and 6 pointers I have taken :help: Knowing her she will go out during the youth hunt and see the only 140 plus rack in the county and drop it then say something like "Geeze dad why don't you get big bucks it isn't that hard" :lol:

AW

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Adam Waszak said:
She said, well why don't we let them get older then and not shoot em when they are small? :help:

Ever have an 8 year old little girl make you speechless and feel like a real jacka$$????????????????????????????????????

AW
In about four weeks I hpoe to have a little girl that'll make me speechless.

She raised the bar AW!

·
Premium Member
30,833 Posts
Adam Waszak said:
Well it is simple that is for sure but why is it so difficult then? This is the first year I passed on bucks ever and it was hard to do because of the "did ya get yer buck this year" mentality the state of Michigan has ingrained into every hunters head. AW
AW,
The first buck you pass will always be the most difficult but it becomes much easier the following year with the anticipation of seeing them as 2 1/2 year olds.
I agree with the "did ya get your buck this year" statement, seems like an awful lot of focus placed on antlers doesn't it? Oh my God... I'm starting to sound like an anti-QDMer.:lol: :lol:

BTW, I have never had a MDNR official ask me if I got my buck, only what did I harvest. It was my hunting buddies that put that pressure on me. A little change of association took care of that problem.

Big T

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Letmgro said:
In about four weeks I hpoe to have a little girl that'll make me speechless.

She raised the bar AW!

Congrats to you! Love her up before you know it she will be an 8 yr old too and you'll wonder how that happened over night.

She did raise the bar but that is what kids do, they make you a better person in general as you care for them and try to make sure they avoid the mistakes you made growing up. An 8 yr old QDMer :yikes: At one time in my life that would have been a nightmare for me :lol: At least kids are honest though.

AW

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yup, they do grow up fast.

I just love how their honesty is so blatant due to the lack of being "taught" by society in what is wrong and what is right.

I've had difficulty in teaching my 6 yr old boy that hunting isn't just for getting a 20 point buck. Which is already what he is learning at school:rolleyes:

Oh well....hopefully he's learning to pass on those little guys already!!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Funny, I was sitting with my 3.5 year old son two nights ago watching deer hunting (an unfortunate nightly common occurance for my wife;) ), and when we'd see a 2.5 year old I'd say, "jake, would you shoot that", he'd say "no,too small". But, when a 3.5 year old or older came out it was always a definate "yes". Funny, I think my 3.5 year old can tell the differance between a 2.5 and 3.5 year old buck!?! Now if I can just get him to understand that shooting a mommy deer is O.K. we will be on track, but he certainly doesn't mind eating the venison from a mommy deer. We had prime-rib at our family Christmas this year and when I asked my son and daugher if they wanted "prime-rib", they said no. When I took the same dish, and asked them if they wanted "venison", they said yes and ate the entire piece....got to love it!

Anyways, I know Superior Deer Management was in Esc. or Gladstone schools and when they were explained deer management and would they pass on young bucks the response rate was 85% or higher that they would pass on young bucks. Kids get this stuff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts