Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like bow hunting. It's a passion. I'm just kind of torn when gun season is coming around. It's so much easier to just point and shoot rather than waiting for the deer to come in and having that shaky close encounter like you do with a bow. I guess I might switch because I've been out in the woods a lot lately with no buck success and when gun season comes around I'll use the shotgun. Now, if I dropped a buck during bow season, I think I would still use it through shotgun season. It just bothers me that I put in so much hard work and long hours in the field that some kid or someone will just go out there and shoot a deer with a gun like it was nothing. I kind of want to have a level playing field.

What do you think?

·
Administrator
17,645 Posts
I mainly hunt on public land during the firearms season. Generally, I only hunt for a day or two and consider bow season to be over November 14th. For one, I do not want to be tracking on public land for any distance, and would hate to hit a deer with my bow and have someone else claim it just a short distance away.
I share the same passion for bow hunting that you describe. I generally take a vacation to bow hunt the rut during the last 10 days of archery season before the firearms opener. This year, if I am not tagged out I will only hunt the morning of November 15th (Sunday) and head home that afternoon.
It works for me.
<----<<<

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
I use a gun during gun season. Only I'm shooting at ducks. This is my 5th year bow only for deer- and will never look back. I've seen too much "stuff" during michigan's gun season to have any interest in it. It is some of the finest waterfowling times of the year however.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gun. I deer hunt because I like to kill deer and will use the more effective means i can.

true, but knowing you utilized your skill gives a greater rewarding feeling in my opinion. But, if you're going for some crucial meat, by all means use a gun!

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
I say use what gives you the most satisfaction. I love bowhunting. This is my 36th year with a bow and I love every part of it. I like gun hunting as well. I consider it a different challenge but not necessarily a lesser one. In many ways I find bowhunting to be easier than gun hunting despite the more limited range.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Guns are for people who don't know how to hunt... lol...:lol:

Sorry I stole that from a baiting thread...

If I'm not tagged out I will take my gun out. I might as well shoot that buck I've been watching during bow season rather then let some guy just in the woods for a couple days that has no idea what is out there get lucky and shoot it, right?

I would choose bow over a gun if I only could pick one and I hope to be tagged out and unable to participate in this years firearm deer season.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
My life revolves around archery, it's my passion but at heart I'm a DEER hunter and I have no problems switching to a gun for the gun season at all. I get satisfaction filling tags with both.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I live for the bow season every year. There is no better hunting than up close and in your face with the deer. But once the 15th rolls around, i dont hesitate to pick up the shotgun, and if I can find a muzzle loader to borrow for a weekend i'll go out for that too. I dont find as much satisfaction taking a deer at 100yrds as i do with a bow but any day hunting beats a day doing pretty much anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I love to bowhunt. It wouldn't bother me if that was all there was. However rifle camp is a big tradition, and a ton of fun, lots more bucks die then. I would much prefer to kill all the deer I have with my rifle, with my bow, but that's just not happening for me yet. If ever I stop going to rifle camp, I will likely concentrate on bow hunting exclusively.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Just do what I do. Leave my 'trophy' in the back of my truck and go from buck pole to buck pole all through firearm season and announce to anyone who will listen that " I DID IT THE HARD WAY WITH A COMPOOUND BOW ! " I also make it a point to announce how I passed up bucks older than almost all of the ones hanging there. It really strokes my ego to make sure everyone knows how proud of myself I am.

Don't worry about the level playing field too much, I am sure that when I die whoever has been keeping score has been grading on a curve so I get all my due credit.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Used to be a time where you wouldn't catch me with a gun in my hand. But I've become a bit more casual about hunting lately and if it means putting meat in the freezer, my .270 or 12ga will be in tow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is my first year bowhunting and I feel like I joined the other side. I have always had a little grudge against bowhunters because it seems they give no respect to ANY gun hunter. I put a good amount of time in the woods and put a lot of time and effort into hunting, but I am a lesser hunter because I use a gun.

Personally I love the ol' 870 and the only reason I started bowhunting is because I cant take my shotgun to hunt deer in OCT- early NOV. I have always said that bowhunters are the one with the advantage being able to hunt the rut.

I know there are a lot of idiots out there that grab a gun on NOV 15th and blast at everything, and they bug me too, but not every gun hunter is this way.

And when I argue with a diehard, full of himself, bowhunting only kinda bowhunter I always go back to one thing, meet me in the woods with your sissy bow and I will bring the shotgun, who do you think will win?:yikes: I am obviously joking but sometimes bowhunters can annoy me.:lol:

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
And when I argue with a diehard, full of himself, bowhunting only kinda bowhunter I always go back to one thing, meet me in the woods with your sissy bow and I will bring the shotgun, who do you think will win?:yikes: I am obviously joking but sometimes bowhunters can annoy me.:lol:
How about the bowhunter with a CPL?;)

I guess we bow hunters are elitists. But since most bowhunters started out gun hunting- and rarely do 'gun only' hunters start out as only bowhunters- that should say something too.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I hang up my gun the last day of the EAS and don't touch it again until next September.:D

It is a lot of fun to arrow a deer in late November.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts