Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if Silver Lake in Genesee county off from Silver Lake road is private but I can't get a hold of anybody at the DNR that has any idea. I have access to it but I want to make sure that it is private. The link on their webpage doesn't work either. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas for me.

·
Administrator
27,208 Posts
Why? Why must it be private.

A private lake mostly will have no inlet or outlet and be owned by one person.

Or is it a lake with all houses on it with no public access site?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have fished another private lake that you can use as many lines as you wanted. I was just thinking if I go by myself I could set a few more tip-ups. There is not any public access on it and it is surrounded by houses.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Private or not the same laws apply. If you have too many lines in the water and the dnr walk up on you, you're busted. Just because it's surrounded by private property won't keep you safe either. The dnr can go where they want, when they want so heads up.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I have fished another private lake that you can use as many lines as you wanted. I was just thinking if I go by myself I could set a few more tip-ups. There is not any public access on it and it is surrounded by houses.

Next time you call the DNR....give them the location to your other private lake. I think they will be very interested.

MI fishing laws apply to public and private waters.

·
Administrator
27,208 Posts
If its truly private such as a farm pond or a lake that is wholly owned and stocked by the owner, no game laws apply.

Sounds like your particular lake, although you say private (no public access), fish and game laws should apply.

·
Registered
264 Posts
silver lake in Fenton is not really private sorry.there is access from many areas. I use to live on the lake and the conservation officers are always checking people on that lake and also byrum lake.;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Silver lake has several access points, but no public boat launch. You can access from Silver Lake Park. there are hundreds of houses on Silver. Sure wouldnt want to be caught with more lines than legal. The fishing on Silver isnt that great, there are better lakes in the area----Lake Fenton, Ponemah, Tipsico etc.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well obviously I check before I do anything. The contact DNR page isn't working that is why I asked. The other lake that I have contacted them about is actually stocked by the people that live on it so that may make a difference. I actually talked to the DNR officer in the area and used the contact the DNR page and they both told me that the laws don't apply to the lake but if it leaves the property it does. For instance...if I had 30 bluegills then they had to be cleaned and eaten there. If I transported them then it would be illeagle. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
The contact DNR page isn't working that is why I asked.
Their phones are still working. You can call the station or office in the area you want to fish. Or, look around and you can find the law enforcement supervisor for the area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts