Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just commented on the conibear "sticky" we have up but thought it was worth a seperate post.... just incase anyone hasn't thought about checking out you tube for conibear trap info, do it.... much better than words and pics...www.youtube.com and search conibear. i have a much better understanding now. thanks. matt.

if you find one you like feel free to post it's link in this thread for all to check out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was also wondering if anyone carries something special to aid in the release of one of these traps? the sticky i think mentions some leather boot lace but does that really work? if you carry something special for this, what is it?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I do carry a lightweight, but tough nylon leash in my vest pocket. Rarely do I leash my dog, but it is nice to have in case I want to tie her off to a tree, or in this case, it would work to get a conibear open.

Thanks - I rarely see traps, but we were snooping around a beaver pond last week.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i was also wondering if anyone carries something special to aid in the release of one of these traps? the sticky i think mentions some leather boot lace but does that really work? if you carry something special for this, what is it?
I set them with my hands, but I am a trapper also. If you are concerned you should carry a rope with you 6 feet long will do just not too skinny. A dog leash would also work. I have hunted grouse with dogs for many years and have never come across a coni yet, but it is always a good idea to be prepared. With the new trap laws on state land though you should be alright unless someone violates, which unfortunately happens. Good luck guys. OT

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I don't believe a bootlace would work well, but it would suffice. The narrow diameter is bound to cut into hands unless you're also packing gloves. Also, sometimes the ends of the springs aren't tight against themselves where they wrap around and something with a narrow diameter may slip through.

I would use a leash on a conibear since I always carry a leash anyways. Another suitable alternative would be a 4' length of rope with a loop tied on one end.

There are also "conibear tongs" sold specifically for compressing springs FWIW.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
For all the good they would do with a coni, I carry a nylon leash and bolt cutters (really, I do). A dog is pretty screwed if it gets tangled in one of those.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Trap setters can be bought at most trapping supply dealers for 15-20$ and could be carryed in a game pouch.A 3-4ft peice of rope or a dog leash will work also.New regs/restrictions for body-grips on public land starting this season.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Westcoast, I'm just curious. What are the size of the bolt cutters you carry, and have you tested them on an actual trap?
As a trapper and bird hunter, I'd have to guess that if you do have a size that gets the job done with one quick slice, they must be substantial in length and weight. I also hope that you never have the opportunity to have to use them.

I hope no one ever has to find out if they have the ability, correct equipment, or knowledge to attempt to free a dog from a coni type trap. If you do, I hope you have the swiftness and hand of God, you may need both. Everyone may feel reassured with carrying a device that could open the trap, but remember, these traps are designed to kill, very quickly. I hope you all, and myself included, never have to face this situation. One dog lost to a trap is one too many, and I'm of the belief that the chances are minimal. I hope all of your dogs stay safe.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
171 Posts
There was just a thread on the Ducks Unlimited Dog Training forum about a guy in Wisconsin that had his lab get caught by a conibear set for coons in a bucket trap. Thank goodness it was a smaller conibear and only caught the dog on the muzzle, didn't do any lasting harm but a scary story. Good thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts