Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After yesterdays trip, I had an interesting thought about the lures and colors I use.

I started yesterday using a color combo that has been hot for a friend of mine and was also pretty close to the same as someone else I know who has been catching fish. I did ok, had 2 in 90 min. and missed 3 others. If I had landed all of them, which obviously doesn't always happen, that's 1 fish shy of a limit in an hour and a half. Pretty good in my book. But I just wasn't confident/comfortable with the combo I was using so i switched to my favorite colors, and I'll be darned if I didn't land 4 fish in the next 30 minutes.

Coincidence? Or does anybody else just have that one color/lure that always seems to work? Might be overthinking it but there are days when two completely different colors both produce in the same boat.

Ah, maybe I'm nuts!;) Random thought for Monday, i guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree. Your favorite lures catch fish. I know several people that catch fish on alot different colors and paterns than mine. Time in the water and confidence.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Confidence.........is the key.....

Mushy

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Talking body baits here but I've got a couple that the color is long gone but I'm confident in the lures action and it still catches plenty of fish. Have you ever noticed that you can buy 3 baits all the same and one consistanly out produces the others. I don't know if it runs a little more sporatic or what but I've definitely seen it.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
If your talking harnesses I run 4 rods out the back with 4 diffrent colors and as soon as I get 2 fish on one color I will start changing most of the rods to that color and I dont keep every color under the sun, I stick with Gold, chrome, red, green, purple,blue, and thats about it I have a few other but there time a day sensative like glow beads which I would run early morning but thats about it.. Confidence in your color of lure and presentation is key because if your 2nd guessing your self all the time your lines will be out of the water more than there in so confidence is a big factor in your success..Cya Slick

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
The bad thing is my favorite lures have had most of the paint scraped off of them.:D They look so sad but still seem to put fish in the box.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've been using the same color pattern harnesses for 7 years now and it always catched fish in dirty or clean water.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I agree,confidence in a lure (or presentation) certainly makes it catch better. Maybe you work it harder, maybe you fish it longer-but you do catch more fish with it.

Funny how my kids have caught on to this too. When we go out for 'eyes, I always let them choose what to rig on their rods. Invariably, they always pick the tried & true (Hammered Gold #5 deep cup Colorado blade or chartreuse #5 willow leaf).
Jim

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts