Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Compound, crossbow, longbow, or recurve?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Started with a Browning recurve. Hunted several years with a Great Northern longbow. Since 2006 my primary has been a Mathews Switchback XT. As I approach 62 I've thought about looking at a new compound and dropping to 50#. I'll never give up a verticle bow if I'm physically able. I absolutely love the challenge of drawing on a buck that is right on top of me.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I could Not Vote as I use an Oneida Compound and a Recurve for Hunting mostly my Oneida But every now and then I like to get out with my Bear Grizzly. And Since I could not vote for 2? I did Not Vote...
Doubt I will ever use a Crossbow as just more $ and i can still shoot either my Compound or my Recurve and I am over 60 Y's O.
Hewaygo1

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
2006 Ross Cardiac compound
I can pick it up after sitting a few months and it remains accurate..
I love the bow and will continue to use it ..
I'm still shooting Easton xx75 aluminum's..
Maybe I should upgrade my arrows .. An upgrade would do the bow justice but maybe laziness is playing a factor in my lack of doing so..
The bow is awesome and my hunting buddies always complement me on how well the bow shoots and how forgiving the bow is, especially in odd shooting/ leaning/ out of position hunting angles ..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I should have set the poll up as which you use the most. I didn’t want to give the options to vote for 2 because I wanted to know mainly which was being used more now compounds or crossbows. What I have found out is there are more traditional hunters than I thought which is really cool. Other than that looks like the numbers are pretty close to what I would have guessed so far. Was wondering if crossbows would edge out compounds though.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Compound in the tree and crossbow on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is similar to the path I find myself on. I want to be able to capitalize on any opportunity by being as efficient as I can be.

Raising the bar or level of difficulty for me isn't about the tool I choose it's the target animal. When I get that deer in front of me I want the kill to be as certain as I can make it. Moving forward what I plan to hunt with will be purely situational.

That's what I tell myself every time I've left home with a xbow (twice, counting yesterday) instead of a vertical bow. Still getting over that tinge of bruised pride that comes from my 40+ years of prior archery experience.

Moral victories are for losers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I usually use my compound but the last few years with limited time to shoot due to having a little man and living in the city limits. I don't get much time to practice religiously with my compound like I would like to be confident enough to go hunting with it. So I bought an excalibur micro to use and love it. I always take a couple shots before heading to the woods to make sure its sighted in and get a feel for it. Hope to start using the compound again soon when more time to practice.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Crossbows are for cheaters!!!!! Lmao kidding this is how I tease my friends and family.
Shoot whatever makes the most sense to you and gets you out hunting. I shoot a Hoyt CRX 32 compound for now but have been starting to investigate crossbows more each passing season. When I start practicing and hear he cracks and creaks in my elbow and shoulders lol

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
Hunted with compound until 4 years ago and loved it...I enjoyed the two month practice in August and September as much as I liked hunting...problems came as eyes started getting bad...reader glasses were great to see the peep but the pin was blurry...drop the glasses and the pin was clear but peep hard to Focus...I'm very glad they approved crossbows otherwise I would've had to give it up...I'd rather quit than be marginal with my equipment...Excalibur Axiom...it's big but it's accurate, simple, indestructible and life time warranty...check out the excalibur destruction challenge
I've had the same issues focusing. Reading glasses stuffed everywhere. The blurry peep isn't so bad when you have a good anchor point. You might not split arrows but its doable. My problem now is, my arm isnt long enough to get the pins into focus. Lol

Been wondering if a red dot might be the cure.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've had the same issues focusing. Reading glasses stuffed everywhere. The blurry peep isn't so bad when you have a good anchor point. You might not split arrows but its doable. My problem now is, my arm isnt long enough to get the pins into focus. Lol

Been wondering if a red dot might be the cure.
Give it a try, For my compound setup I have been using a red dot for a long time even before I needed readers, I never like the peep site. You don't need to spend big $$ on a red dot scope a $30 one will work fine, I have a HHA adjustable mount with one setting for 0-20yds then others for 30, 40, 50, 60... yards. I never move it off the 20yd mark when hunting but it is fun to shoot out to 60 or more in the back yard.

This is my setup for the past number of years I think I paid $35 for the sight

mount.jpg

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Give it a try, For my compound setup I have been using a red dot for a long time even before I needed readers, I never like the peep site. You don't need to spend big $$ on a red dot scope a $30 one will work fine, I have a HHA adjustable mount with one setting for 0-20yds then others for 30, 40, 50, 60... yards. I never move it off the 20yd mark when hunting but it is fun to shoot out to 60 or more in the back yard.

This is my setup for the past number of years I think I paid $35 for the sight

View attachment 442647
Cool idea but I have issues with rheostat intensity Levels at first and last light. Do you ever have any issues with it screwing your night vision when you look out of the aperture?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Cool idea but I have issues with rheostat intensity Levels at first and last light. Do you ever have any issues with it screwing your night vision when you look out of the aperture?
First and last light is the easy for me, high noon with the sun worries me but has not been an issues yet. it has seven intensity levels and you can turn it from off "0" to low "1" or high "7" depending on rotation setting, so I have learned if an evening hunt and the sun is below the tree line I turn two clicks to "2" This one has indents for each setting, I think my sons is like a rheostat turn to from off and the further you turn it the brighter it gets.

·
Registered
561 Posts
X bow shooter since my shoulder injury. I like the up close sit on the ground style and the crossbow allows me to shoot both left-handed and right where the compound I could only shoot to my left while seated. Making it work, opening up new possibilities

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Strother Wrath for treestands on the private properties I hunt, take this most of the time I feel good about the sit.

Samick Sage 45 lb for ground hunting, state land, and in season scouting. Haven't pulled it out yet to hunt this year. This week will be moving in on some suspected stateland sets I have planned from previous scouting.

My oldest son has a xbow which I took out once last year. Not sure what it is, but just don't care to use it. I have 0 issues with xbows, I just prefer vertical. If I find a good set for it where drawing could be trouble it may come out with me.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Raising the bar or level of difficulty for me isn't about the tool I choose it's the target animal. When I get that deer in front of me I want the kill to be as certain as I can make it.
This has been my stance on crossbows since day 1. I’m not out there to challenge my shooting. I’m out there to quickly and ethically kill the animal of my choice. Which is also why I recommend crossbows to every new person that hunts with me. Save the egos and the chest thumping for target practice.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts