Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Paul, Mitch, Mike, Jon, and others. I tried several different things on this mount and wanted to see what you all thought. This is my first deer that I actually removed the ear cartilage and used a plastic ear liner. I also lighten up the paint colors around the eyes and the nose so it wasn't so dark. Used gorilla glue around the antler bases to help minimize the shrinkage.

Mike, Thanks for the tips. However on the ears if you look close you can see the small white blotches all over on the inside, what might have cause this? I didn't apply any paint to the ears but am wondering if I maybe should just to cover them up.

By the way a friend of my brothers shot this at only 17 yrs old. Missed him at 45 yards only to have him immediately respond and come on in to a snort wheeze. Lucky kid!!

So what ya all think? McKenzie 9700 Upright

javascript:;

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Pretty sweet Chris!!! I know of a "Taxidermist" that has been around a long time and in his best days, could never come close to matching what you just turned out.

Now just be sure that you are charging your clients what you should and not cheating yourself. I know it was for a friend so I'll tell ya' what I did. I told all my close friends..."Your first one is free, after that it's the same rate every one else!"

Mitch

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Pretty sweet Chris!!! I know of a "Taxidermist" that has been around a long time and in his best days, could never come close to matching what you just turned out.

Mitch
I know one also, been doing it 30 years, and his deer look like a 59 in the novice div.

Chris, take a rag with lacquer thinner, and wipe the over spray off of the hair around the nose please.
I am not a fan of white in the front corner of the eye if the heads not turned sharply. Just my opinion.
The ears look very nice, a little uneven up and down from each other, are you useing a level to square the form up from the start?
The top edge of the ears are not taxied to match each other.
You are improving bud, you have come along way.
I still haven't seen the dvd you sent me, I got it here in my hand, but the Wings are on,,,

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Great job Chris! 100% improvement on the shape of the ears. See, the cartilage removal wasn't that tough!;) As far as the color, it's a ton better than any Over Spray. Nice work and keep at it.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts