Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does Michigan stack up against others states? Follow the money. Pittman-Robinson excise tax is collected on the federal level. It’s a tax of sporting items like firearms, ammo, archery etc sales. Michigan does pretty well. We are near the top.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45667.pdf

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Funny I spent some time down south and knew plenty of people from the deep South. Many havent got out much and listen to too many country songs. They talk like people up north dont hunt. How surprised they are to find out michigan has more licensed hunters than any state.

While we have our issues, we have more hunting opportunities than you can shake a stick at.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Pages 15, & 25 - 26 address the hunter numbers specifically.

#1 Texas 1,132,306

#2 Pennslyvaina 973,339

#3 Michigan 728,530

#4 Tennessee 711,771

#5 Wisconsin 707,189

Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Pages 15, & 25 - 26 address the hunter numbers specifically.

#1 Texas 1,132,306

#2 Pennslyvaina 973,339

#3 Michigan 728,530

#4 Tennessee 711,771

#5 Wisconsin 707,189
Would be interesting to compare these numbers to total pop numbers. What percentage are the hunters to total pop?

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Would be interesting to compare these numbers to total pop numbers. What percentage are the hunters to total pop?
Population numbers are from the 2010 census
20ish percent if I entered the right numbers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
Seems like many states are holding their own as far as hunter numbers. MI seems to be one of the few states in steep decline. We’ve taken quit the hit on $$ returns in past 5 years, didn’t add numbers, but MI looks like over $10 million.

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
Funny I spent some time down south and knew plenty of people from the deep South. Many havent got out much and listen to too many country songs. They talk like people up north dont hunt. How surprised they are to find out michigan has more licensed hunters than any state.

While we have our issues, we have more hunting opportunities than you can shake a stick at.

I’ve seen huge numbers of the southern boys doing outfitted hunts. Especially Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, those boys like to hunt.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I’ve seen huge numbers of the southern boys doing outfitted hunts. Especially Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, those boys like to hunt.
As do midwesterners

·
Registered
35,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like many states are holding their own as far as hunter numbers. MI seems to be one of the few states in steep decline. We’ve taken quit the hit on $$ returns in past 5 years, didn’t add numbers, but MI looks like over $10 million.
Declining numbers yes, steep decline no per the DNR press release. Scroll down to hunter numbers. It has fallen in line with long term projections.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/27de864

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
MI seems to be one of the few states in steep decline. We’ve taken quit the hit on $$ returns in past 5 years.
Look at the hit on returns from the past 5 years then look at all the enforcements that have been put into place in the past 5-10 years. The state keeps taking opportunities away from sportsmen and wonder why numbers are declining so quickly. Whether you agree with all of them or not, things like base licenses, antler point restrictions, shutting down popular campsites, baiting ban, treble hook ban on west side rivers, etc. are going to decrease the number of sportsman. How about the kid that’s been getting skunked hunting for years and finally has the opportunity at a nice buck, to find out he’s got to let that old 6pt walk away because it’s deemed “unworthy” by the dnr. Or the old guy that’s been fishing the same salmon stream for 40+ years getting a ticket and being told his hooks are unethical and not welcome there anymore. Perfect example going into effect this year. You can’t fish 300’ below homestead dam now because dnr officers don’t feel like enforcing snagging laws there so just ban the whole 300’ stretch to fishing. There’s some people that are limited to fishing close to the dam and parking lot because they physically can’t handle getting down river. Now those people(legally fishing or not) will be getting tickets and told they aren’t welcome to fish there anymore.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Look at the hit on returns from the past 5 years then look at all the enforcements that have been put into place in the past 5-10 years. The state keeps taking opportunities away from sportsmen and wonder why numbers are declining so quickly. Whether you agree with all of them or not, things like base licenses, antler point restrictions, shutting down popular campsites, baiting ban, treble hook ban on west side rivers, etc. are going to decrease the number of sportsman. How about the kid that’s been getting skunked hunting for years and finally has the opportunity at a nice buck, to find out he’s got to let that old 6pt walk away because it’s deemed “unworthy” by the dnr. Or the old guy that’s been fishing the same salmon stream for 40+ years getting a ticket and being told his hooks are unethical and not welcome there anymore. Perfect example going into effect this year. You can’t fish 300’ below homestead dam now because dnr officers don’t feel like enforcing snagging laws there so just ban the whole 300’ stretch to fishing. There’s some people that are limited to fishing close to the dam and parking lot because they physically can’t handle getting down river. Now those people(legally fishing or not) will be getting tickets and told they aren’t welcome to fish there anymore.
1. Base License - Falling in line with every other state, but MI also allows it for small game.
2. APR zones are seeing little to no decline in hunter numbers when compared to the rest of the state...so if anything APR's are a band aide at the moment. Plus it was the hunters that instituted the APR's, not the DNR. Plus no offense, but I don't know a single 'kid' that would think a 6 is a nice deer. Odds are youth and young hunters are more willing to let that yearling walk regardless.
3. Popular Campsites - More than likely Federal land spots...but don't worry, very few people seem to know the difference between USFS land and State Land/Parks/Rec Areas/Forest Campgrounds. State land camping opportunities are growing and expanding and have been over the last decade.
4. Treble Hook Regs - From my experience, alot less trash can be found at popular fishing spots during the fall because of these regs...both literal garbage and trash fisherman. Now instead, parking lots are full of vehicles carrying families, women, children, etc who are getting a chance to enjoy the fall fish runs with legit tackle without the fear of drunks cussing/swearing/fighting over rotting fish in front of them.

The state of Michigan has ~647,000 hunters(2018)
Reference Article
The state of Michigan has a population of ~10million(2018)
Reference Link

That's 6.47%...which is a very small demographic. Where were fortunate, is that a survey in 2019 showed that 75% of Michigan residents agree that hunting/fishing license fees are a benefit to Michigan, which is up from 67% in a poll taken in 2018. That's public relations and marketing. Organizations like Meat Eater, MUCC, and BHA(even though I think they're a green decoy), in the way they promote hunting in a certain light, paired heavily with a conservation theme, are probably the responsible for that increase. So when the voting non-hunting/fishing public get an opportunity to view hunting and fishing, it's important we do it in an ethical manner...certain gear regs for fishing, and bait bans and antler restrictions for deer, will go a long ways in the long term preservation of our hunting privileges.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
1. Base License - Falling in line with every other state, but MI also allows it for small game.
2. APR zones are seeing little to no decline in hunter numbers when compared to the rest of the state...so if anything APR's are a band aide at the moment. Plus it was the hunters that instituted the APR's, not the DNR. Plus no offense, but I don't know a single 'kid' that would think a 6 is a nice deer. Odds are youth and young hunters are more willing to let that yearling walk regardless.
3. Popular Campsites - More than likely Federal land spots...but don't worry, very few people seem to know the difference between USFS land and State Land/Parks/Rec Areas/Forest Campgrounds. State land camping opportunities are growing and expanding and have been over the last decade.
4. Treble Hook Regs - From my experience, alot less trash can be found at popular fishing spots during the fall because of these regs...both literal garbage and trash fisherman. Now instead, parking lots are full of vehicles carrying families, women, children, etc who are getting a chance to enjoy the fall fish runs with legit tackle without the fear of drunks cussing/swearing/fighting over rotting fish in front of them.

Reference Article
Reference Link

That's 6.47%...which is a very small demographic. Where were fortunate, is that a survey in 2019 showed that 75% of Michigan residents agree that hunting/fishing license fees are a benefit to Michigan, which is up from 67% in a poll taken in 2018. That's public relations and marketing. Organizations like Meat Eater, MUCC, and BHA(even though I think they're a green decoy), in the way they promote hunting in a certain light, paired heavily with a conservation theme, are probably the responsible for that increase. So when the voting non-hunting/fishing public get an opportunity to view hunting and fishing, it's important we do it in an ethical manner...certain gear regs for fishing, and bait bans and antler restrictions for deer, will go a long ways in the long term preservation of our hunting privileges.
I was with you the entire way until you said....Green Decoy. As a life member of BHA, all I can do is shake my head at that comment.
The good thing about this is that we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I respect yours.
As for the rest of it, you dropped knowledge bombs from above and I appreciate your vision on long term preservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Reference Article
Reference Link

No **** dude. I’m well aware of the reasons why they changed what they did, no need to tell me why. If you read my post I said “WHETHER YOU AGREE WITH THE CHANGES OR NOT”. Doesn’t change the fact that people ARE dropping out of the sport because of the changes. I know 2 old timers who last year was the first year they didn’t buy a deer license in their life due to the baiting ban. My little brother sold off his crossbow because of it also. My dad and a handful of buddies last year salmon fishing was the year they made the treble hook ban. Don’t even try telling me that these new rules aren’t pushing hunters and fisherman away.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm sorry but I have zero sympathy if somebody decides to quit fishing/hunting because they cant use a treble hook or bait. If they have a passion for the hobby then they will continue to fish/hunt regardless.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Plus no offense, but I don't know a single 'kid' that would think a 6 is a nice deer. Odds are youth and young hunters are more willing to let that yearling walk regardless.
I agree with most of your post except this. That is only if your children are raised as trophy hunters only, or shamed taking less than one. I've seen the look on the face of quite a few new hunters and they didn't care how big or what it even was. It was a deer and they were successful and that's all that mattered.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm sorry but I have zero sympathy if somebody decides to quit fishing/hunting because they cant use a treble hook or bait. If they have a passion for the hobby then they will continue to fish/hunt regardless.
I agree. I like having less people to deal with on the river and in the woods anyway lol. The thing is, our “sympathy” has zero effect on license sales declining. Those hunters aren’t buying tags, and us bitching about why they quit deer hunting isn’t going to change their mind and bring them back.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts