Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
NRC APPROVES NEW DISABILITY CRITERIA

Yesterday, The Natural Resources Commission (NRC) acted upon the criteria that would allow a person with a permanent medical disability to take game with a crossbow. Furthermore, the NRC requested that the DNR seek to gain authority to issue temporary crossbow and modified bow permits from the legislature.

This is a landmark day for sportspersons throughout the entire State of Michigan as it will now open the doors for hundreds and perhaps thousands of disabled persons the opportunity to participate as an equal during the same activity as the able-bodied. Thanks go out to the NRC for tackling these long-overdue matters and providing greater hunter opportunity for our citizens.

The specific criterion is light years different than the old criteria and I will post it under a new thread. Highlights include the removal of the 80% permanent disability language. In its place is language that, in my opinion, the State of Michigan says that "if you have a disability, we’re going to find a way to get you into the woods!"

A proud day for Michigan and a very good day for its citizens!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Thanks for the great news, I can't wait to see the actual terminology and new forms for application! It will be great to be able to hunt deer in the fall archery season again!:)

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
this is good news. I'm going to contact a friend of mine to see if his dad now can get back into the woods this fall to hunt again.

Thanks to all who made this happen:D

·
Registered
15,173 Posts
The specific criterion is light years different than the old criteria and I will post it under a new thread. Highlights include the removal of the 80% permanent disability language. In its place is language that, in my opinion, the State of Michigan says that "if you have a disability, we’re going to find a way to get you into the woods!"
Sounds very good!

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Howdy-

Good news, indeed!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Totally agree, the new alterations to the old 80% rule, are well overdue. This will definitely put hunters in the field that should never have been denied in the first place. Hats off to the NRC.....

·
Registered
8,750 Posts
I agree that this is a step in the right direction and I applaud the NRC for taking action early enough to get those left-behind hunters back into the wood this year.
I'll hold any further comments until I can read the revisions in detail.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Excellent. Every hunter physically not capable of hunting with a bow should be able to hunt with a crossbow.:)

·
Registered
683 Posts
The new provisions are great news. However, if the DNR does not gain approval for temporary permits many will "fall through the cracks again". I am sure many(myself included)have conditions which might be considered temporary now and could prove to be permanent in the future. With no temporary permit, I along with many others will "sit this one out". :(

·
Registered
898 Posts
I believe we should have a temporary permit and will address this with the MBH board. I believe it should be a two year permit that would have to be renewed at the end of two years or until a doctor deemed it a permanent disability. Also you may want to explore the modified bow permit which could allow you to use your old equipment.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
I believe we should have a temporary permit and will address this with the MBH board. I believe it should be a two year permit that would have to be renewed at the end of two years or until a doctor deemed it a permanent disability. Also you may want to explore the modified bow permit which could allow you to use your old equipment.
Thanks Terry

You are a fair guy, I dont care what I say about you:lol::D

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is good news.

The way I understand it, the DNR only has the authority to issue crossbow permits to people with permanent impairments. In order for the DNR to be able to address temporary permits, the legeslature/governer will need to grant them that authority.

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is good news.

The way I understand it, the DNR only has the authority to issue crossbow permits to people with permanent impairments. In order for the DNR to be able to address temporary permits, the legislature/governor will need to grant them that authority.
That is correct however; my understanding is the NRC is currently investigating if they can indeed issue temporary permits versus the legislature tackling this issue.

Again, if you have a disability that you believe is of a degree of severity that might entitle you to obtain a permit to hunt with a crossbow, you only have yourself to blame if you don't take the examination. That's because, the new criteria is much more comprehensive and flexible than the old crap that was on the books and, as such, there is a profoundly larger probability of you obtaining a permit.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This is how the system should work. Congates too all the disabled hunters who can now participate in the regular bow season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts