Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I cant sign this. I do support the taking of lake trout by commercial fishermen...as many as possible please, and in short order. Thank you to all commercial fishermen, hope this doesnt pass!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
LMAO, Losing perch isn't enough? Keep it up and you'll lose your whitefish nets too!
Lol. I guess while they are at it Trout Lover, they can take walleye off the list of Sportfish also. Too many of them, they crashed the alewife population in Saginaw bay....intentionally I might add. Bills not going to pass, sorry.
Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
893 Posts
I’m pretty sure if you cut walleye by 90%, your perch would come back in spades. Doesn’t anyone realize that walleye are literal machines of destruction eating everything in their paths? They are voracious predators, and cannibals. Get rid of most of them so perch can come back, I’m all for that. Take the lake trout with you so the whitefish will come back, damn trout destroying whitefish before they can even grow past a couple inches. You walleye guys need to go back to biology class. If you let the commercial guys help solve your lake trout and walleye problem, you would like the results if you are into perch and whitefish. But most of you arent very smart, so you haven’t figured out how all this works yet.
LMAO, Losing perch isn't enough? Keep it up and you'll lose your whitefish nets too!

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I’m pretty sure if you cut walleye by 90%, your perch would come back in spades. Doesn’t anyone realize that walleye are literal machines of destruction eating everything in their paths? They are voracious predators, and cannibals. Get rid of most of them so perch can come back, I’m all for that. Take the lake trout with you so the whitefish will come back, damn trout destroying whitefish before they can even grow past a couple inches. You walleye guys need to go back to biology class. If you let the commercial guys help solve your lake trout and walleye problem, you would like the results if you are into perch and whitefish. But most of you arent very smart, so you haven’t figured out how all this works yet.
So let me try to understand you’re logic. You think it’s a great idea to commercially fish Lakers and walleye so perch and whitefish populations can prosper again? How are whitefish populations supposed to sky rocket as long as their still netting the piss out of them? Let’s get rid of most of the walleye? You sir, are a genius. But we are the idiots, oh wait...........

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
His logic is actually logic. There is far too many walleye in some systems. To the point of raising limits and eating themselves out of house and home. That is 100per. Correlated with the lack of perch. That said I don't have a bone in the fight other than I don't like lake trout and mostly inland lake perch fish.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I’m pretty sure if you cut walleye by 90%, your perch would come back in spades.
I am pretty sure if you cut every damn net up the perch will come back all on its own. Increase our limits to 15 per day with no possession limit, we the Sportsmen will put walleyes in check not the Netters to make huge profits without putting Zero back into the resources.
If you let the commercial guys help solve your lake trout and walleye problem, you would like the results if you are into perch and whitefish. But most of you arent very smart, so you haven’t figured out how all this works yet.
Commercial netters already collect plenty of walleyes in their nets, They will not get the green light to do it Legally.
Smart??? You bulb is burnt out sir if you agree with Commercial netters and think they give a rats azz about whats best for the Great lakes. Greed will not win this time around! Watch and learn Smart azz.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you've watched the presentation on youtube about perch and walleye in Saginaw Bay that Dave Fielder of the DNR did, the perch are spawning great.... lots of young perch being produced and observed in DNR sampling

And then they are never seen again as larger perch. They're not getting netted out... they're getting decimated by the walleye before they get to 2 years old. Which is before they get big enough to even get caught hook and line, much less netting

I don't particularly care for commercial fishing, I'd rather see those fish be caught by sport anglers. But there's no denying that the primary reason for lack of catchable size perch in the bay is that the walleye are eating them before they can grow big enough

Unless the walleye population is thinned out some, you won't see consistently great perch fishing

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Increase limits per recreational angler, eleminate nets and kill off them damn birds..... You will see Phenomenal Perch fishing!

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
nd then they are never seen again as larger perch. They're not getting netted out... they're getting decimated by the walleye before they get to 2 years old. Which is before they get big enough to even get caught hook and line, much less netting
Page 3, post #33. Multiply this by the hundreds of Cormorants on a daily basis and I would imaging what walleye eat isn't close to the amount these things eats.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/cormorant-eat-perch.355694/page-3

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Page 3, post #33. Multiply this by the hundreds of Cormorants on a daily basis and I would imaging what walleye eat isn't close to the amount these things eats.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/cormorant-eat-perch.355694/page-3
No doubt cormorants are a factor... no love lost there. Be nice if they could be controlled

But you're not giving enough credit to just how many walleyes there are, and how much they eat. Hundreds of cormorants? What about millions of walleye?

Recent research suggests walleyes are eating about 5x to 10x times more perch in the Bay than cormorants are

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._the_fish_community_in_Saginaw_Bay_Lake_Huron

"Cormorant consumption of age-1 yellow perch was 13–17% as much as mean walleye consumption of yellow perch in 2013 and 8–11% in 2014."

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Increase limits for recreational anglers before a single walleye gets legally netted.. Yes O'mykiss there are millions of walleye for us Sportsmen to catch by hook n line not net & sell unregulated for huge profits. Very simple.....BTW they have nothing but a guess on how many birds and walleyes there are....#NoNets #NoCormorants

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
More then hundreds of cormorants, probably millions...
Heck where I'm working near the Saginaw bay I can see hundreds in many different flocks without using binoculars and without driving around in a boat or a car

There's way more cormorants this year then I've saw in the past years, huge flocks everywhere
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Without a doubt cormorants are a problem that needs to be addressed. They number in the thousands and like walleye, their numbers are growing. Million is a big number. There ARE millions of walleye in and around Saginaw Bay and their population and range is expanding. Walleye eat many times more perch and other game fish in the Saginaw Bay area than cormorants. I hate to see commercial fishers who never put anything back into the resource get their foot in the door on walleye, but something needs to be done.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Walleye eat many times more perch and other game fish in the Saginaw Bay area than cormorants. I ha
Matter of opinion.
. I hate to see commercial fishers who never put anything back into the resource get their foot in the door on walleye, but something needs to be done.
As stated many times by me and others, Increase daily limits with no possession limit. Problem solved..... Even saved $ on having a study/survey done lol.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
More then hundreds of cormorants, probably millions...
Heck where I'm working near the Saginaw bay I can see hundreds in many different flocks without using binoculars and without driving around in a boat or a car

There's way more cormorants this year then I've saw in the past years, huge flocks everywhere
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
100%agree Josh. People that don't see it first hand don't have a clue how many of them damn birds are out there gorging on fish.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts