Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

What structure would you support?

• Leave the EAS & Youth Season exactly as is.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Combine the EAS & Youth Season into a 7 day hunt.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Keep them separate, add a few days to the youth season.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • I disagree with both the EAS & Youth Season.

Votes: 8 12.1%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading another thread got me thinking about this one, but I didnt want to take that thread off track...Why not combine the Youth & EAS season in those areas where the EAS is in place?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
All though I have some personal issue's with these two hunts, I would vote that they stick with the current set-up. I think combining the two would take away from what the youth hunt was designed for. I would vote to eliminate the EAS though.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Leave the youth hunt as is.

Change the EAS to the entire month of October. Antlerless hunting only, two weeks archery and two weeks firearm.

-na

·
Registered
18 Posts
The youth hunt is very important to get young people involved and interested in hunting. If any change were to be done (i would leave it the way it is) I would like to see the eas gone and the youth hunt extended. However the only problem with extending the youth hunt is it would continue into the week which might send the wrong signals to our youth about making excuses to skip school to hunt.:confused:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

Change the EAS to the entire month of October. Antlerless hunting only, two weeks archery and two weeks firearm.

-na
I'll drink to that. . . and I don't even drink!

Then do the same with "antlered" season in November. Two weeks with bow, two weeks with firearm.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
haha ill spill your drinks before you drink them.. that is by far the worst idea ever... must be gun hunters only!!!

i say make the youths see what its really like... dont sugar coat it... if they are going to hunt might as well show them what hunting is like... lots of people out hunting and lots of loud bangs.... they will quickly enjoy bow hunting....

no but really i say combine them if they are going to have it...this would bring everyone together... well thats one way to look at it...

i will have to think about this....before i vote that is!!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I could not vote as my preference was not offered.

I vote for leaving the Youth hunt as is, and eliminating the EAS. Feel free to disagree, but I will not change my mind.
Dan

·
Registered
849 Posts
I voted Leave It. The seasons have 2 completly different objectives in my mind.

EAS is a tool used to harvest additional antlerless deer. If the management goals get met for an area I am all for discontinuing it, if they are not being met I could understand lengthing it.

Youth season - Is is there to introduce young hunters to the sport of whitetail hunting. That objective seems simple enough to accomplish with proper planning of the adult responsible for the youth. Take the necessary measures to clear your schedule and get the youth into the woods, there are lots of daylight hours to sit in a full a weekend.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I dont know why they didnt do the same thing they did up here 10 years ago and start the EAS on Oct 10th and run it for 7-10 days... It had great success up here but I guess that wasnt good enough for them. Maybe it worked to good :lol:

CB

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
haha ill spill your drinks before you drink them.. that is by far the worst idea ever... must be gun hunters only!!!quote]

Not sure why you would think we "must be gun hunters only" because that option would allow equal time for both.

And FYI. . . I hunt Archery & Firearm season.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The youth hunt is very important to get young people involved and interested in hunting. If any change were to be done (i would leave it the way it is) I would like to see the eas gone and the youth hunt extended. However the only problem with extending the youth hunt is it would continue into the week which might send the wrong signals to our youth about making excuses to skip school to hunt.:confused:

I voted the same way,.. keep it as it is as 2 seperate hunts but extend the youth hunt.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
i was saying that harpo because shortening the bow season is crazy talk! gun season needs to stay in november and be shortened if anything :lol:... its just opinions man... thats all it ever is... everyone has their own.. i just didnt agree with yours thats all... I dont like gun hunting because of my gun hunting experiences in lower michigan... certain parts of the state may be fun... however it wasnt even hunting if you ask me... too many people too many guns.. its like deer hunting in a pen just about...no where for them to run... hunter on every corner... thats just not hunting....

and now ya done got me off topic... ok you didnt make me but i did... sorry about that

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
haha ill spill your drinks before you drink them.. that is by far the worst idea ever... must be gun hunters only!!!
It's not about what you or I prefer to hunt with as far as a weapon. It's about shooting a sufficient number of antlerless deer.

Evidently many hunters in the the private lands of the LP won't do the right thing voluntarily and need to be forced into it. Therefore, if it were up to me, no one in the SLP would get a buck tag for the November antlered deer season until they had taken two does during the October antlerless season.

-na

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
i agree that taking a sufficient amount of deer is the right thing to do but hear me out with what im trying to say... This is not directed to Nick Adams... this part is directed to well i guess everyone? not calling anyone out... just stating my point about the EAS

the problem is all the "people" in certain areas that think there are too many deer in their location and shoot the 1st deer that walks by... yes certain areas the early doe season works great... but the land owner and the people hunting that certain region needs to go out and study his own dang deer herd before he/she participates!!!

I have places to hunt with lots of does... that is where i went during the EAS... however i have places there isnt a lot of does... hence why i didnt hunt those locations...

people that are not responsible hunters who dont know their own heard is the people i hate.... get out and scout... see if you have a reason to participate... we had yahoos shooting deer in a few sections that they have no reason to do it other than they can go out and kill something....

if anyone doesnt agree with this post they are probably the same people i am talking about....

wanting or needing meat is a seperate issue... and i know.. if its your land do what you want if you dont care about whether you have deer or even big bucks in the future... managing the herd is why we hunt... is it not?... that and the obvious.... i just hope the majority understand its not about just going out there to kill something because you can..

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
i agree that taking a sufficient amount of deer is the right thing to do but hear me out with what im trying to say... This is not directed to Nick Adams... this part is directed to well i guess everyone? not calling anyone out... just stating my point about the EAS

the problem is all the inbreds in certain areas that think there are too many deer in their location and shoot the 1st deer that walks by... yes certain areas the early doe season works great... but the land owner and the people hunting that certain region needs to go out and study his own dang deer herd before he/she participates!!!

I have places to hunt with lots of does... that is where i went during the EAS... however i have places there isnt a lot of does... hence why i didnt hunt those locations...

people that are not responsible hunters who dont know their own heard is the people i hate.... get out and scout... see if you have a reason to participate... we had yahoos shooting deer in a few sections that they have no reason to do it other than they can go out and kill something....

if anyone doesnt agree with this post they are probably the same people i am talking about....

wanting or needing meat is a seperate issue... and i know.. if its your land do what you want if you dont care about whether you have deer or even big bucks in the future... managing the herd is why we hunt... is it not?... that and the obvious.... i just hope the majority understand its not about just going out there to kill something because you can..
well said though i might not use certian words as it might offend some unintended people

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
how? I was just stating that people need to be managers of their own land and the land they hunt on to have a stable herd. There is no need to kill deer in low density areas just because the dnr says you can.... guess i should have just said that :lol: sounds a lot better... you are right

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

the problem is all the "people" in certain areas that think there are too many deer in their location and shoot the 1st deer that walks by... yes certain areas the early doe season works great... but the land owner and the people hunting that certain region needs to go out and study his own dang deer herd before he/she participates!!!

I have places to hunt with lots of does... that is where i went during the EAS... however i have places there isn't a lot of does... hence why i didn't hunt those locations...

people that are not responsible hunters who dint know their own heard is the people i hate.... get out and scout... see if you have a reason to participate... we had yahoos shooting deer in a few sections that they have no reason to do it other than they can go out and kill something....

if anyone doesn't agree with this post they are probably the same people i am talking about....

wanting or needing meat is a separate issue... and i know.. if its your land do what you want if you dint care about whether you have deer or even big bucks in the future... managing the herd is why we hunt... is it not?... that and the obvious.... i just hope the majority understand its not about just going out there to kill something because you can..
Hunter I totally agree,... Manage the does in the areas that really need the management. This past EAS I hunted my back 80,...I've got more deer out here that I can see in just one day than the majority of hunters can see during the whole season. I'd safely say that the doe to buck ratio is in the neighborhood of 10 does to 1 buck. I've only harvested 4 bucks out back in the past 10 years due to what I'd call a poor line of genetics as their antler growth and stature was poor and I wanted them out of the gene pool. I'm attaching a snapshot that my wife took this past early spring as a prime example of the deer on our property, and this is just what the camera could capture in a 4X zoom on her digital camera. These deer in the picture were a good 200+ yards away from her when she took the picture. There were twice as many out there.

This early antler-less season I saw 5 bucks in a bachelor group, 2 of which were REALLY nice bucks. The one 8 point was outstanding, with a very symmetrical rack and long tines. I hope he can make it for at least 1 more season.

This year I bought 3 private land antlerless tags for my property and I asked a friend of mine from downstate to get one for himself. That will extract at least 4 does from MY neighborhood. I just hope some of my neighbors follow suit on their own properties. ;)

·
Banned
19,596 Posts

-na
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
15,438 Posts

I liked post #7, but this one is better :yeahthat:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts