Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Christmas, I received a build your own ice shanty.

Any suggestions as to what color would be better to paint the floor with? I'm thinking gray or black. Is it easier to watch your
line against a black back ground? Or would gray help you see a bit better if you drop a hook on the floor.

Also, I'm making it out of plywood and I hate to add anymore weight to it, so should I just drag it as is? or put some runners under it. If I use runners, how do you compensate for the other half when you unfold it?

Should I put anything else in it like carpet to keep from slipping around in it?

(Its a kit with poles and tent, from Cabellas)

Later,
Sir Don

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would say no to the carpet cause it will get wet from snow and slush, and over time you'll be replacing rotten wood. I can't help with the runners, I'm not familar enough with the set-up to say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Don,

those are pretty decent shanties. I built one a couple of years ago and it was nice. It was a little on the heavy side for me so I sold it and bought an Eskimo.

What I ended up doing was go to Home Depot and went to the "oops rack" in the paint department. I bought a gallon of good Behr exterior deck stain for about $5 I think. It was a dark yellow. Actually, about like a Caterpillar tractor yelllow. Looked great and it was CHEAP. :) I put a couple of coats on and it protected the plywood from moisture pretty well.

I built a pair of skis for it out of some 2x4. (Probably way too much) Then just mounted some brackets to the skis and set the folded shanty on top of them and strapped them on with ratchet straps. It worked fine but I bet a cheap pair of used skis and some bungee cords would be plenty.

Good luck and enjoy the new shanty !

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Those are some good tips! I would also stay away from the carpet on a wood floor.

Painting is a good choice. I think I'd go with the gray paint because the lighter color would make it easier to find dropped items, especially in a room that’s only light source may be a lantern.

As far as the skis go, Shappell Corp. in Lansing made collapsible skis for their old Minute Man Shanties. They are the same one they are using on their current shanties. I haven’t seen the in stores lately, so you may want to contact Shappell to see if they’re still available. Hopefully they’ll work on your setup!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don, I have the same shanty. It works great. Be very thoughtfull as to where you put your holes. That shanty can get very small with three guys if the holes are not placed right.

I don't have skis on mine. I lay it on top of a sled or on my one man if there are a bunch of us going. It moves very easily.

Enjoy it!

Woodchuck1

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
First make sure you put about 40 holes in the floor so we can all come and break it in with you. Second, I would look at a second hand shop, good will, or something of the sort for some used cross country or downhill skis to put under it. I put skis on my portable and man, I can go twice the distance before feeling the ticker getting ready to burst! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd go with a darker color. Dropped minnows are hard to find on a gray floor, and it's pretty rank opening up your shanty with deadminnow scent air freshener.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI THERE I AM NEW TO THE SITE I BUILD MY OWN SHANTIES OUT OF PLY WOOD AND TRAP AND 3 PIECES OF METAL CONDUIT. I USE RUNNERS ON MINE FIST I TAKE 2X6 AND FASTEN TO PLYWOOD WITH WOOD SCREWS AND SOME GOOD SIZE WASHERS SO THEY DONT PULL TROUGH THE WOOD THEN I TAKE AN OLD PAIR OF SNOW SKIS THAT I USUALLY BUT AT A THIRFT SHOP FOR ABOUT $5.00 AND SCREW THOSE TO THE 2X6 AND THE THING PULLS LIKE A DREAM:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crappiehunter, May I be the first to welcome you to the site!!!

I agree, next time I go by a thrift store, I'm going to pick myself up a pair of skis. My floor color ended up being black, but it looks a bit on the glossy side, so I think I'm going to get a can a flat paint and touch it up a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sir Don
(a master of the Zebco 202 and how it can out fish expensive reels, till one day my buddy got sick and tired of it and threw it down a hole when I wasn't looking. Claimed a pike must have hit it and pulled it down)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts