Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there color blind and tried the blood tracking lights. Starting bow hunting this year and need a way to follow the trail. Red blood on dried leaves really doesn't show up at all for me. Usually with gun hunting they haven't gone too far and I have help if required.

I have seen several brands out there and just wanted to find out if someone else that is color blind has used them and had good success.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The only real trick I am aware of is a propane lantern, it is suppose to make the blood glow. I have never tried it but people swear by it and I believe that people on here are where I found out about this trick. I am not color blind and have never tried this but im sure someone will chime in soon with more experience on this trick.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lanterns don't help much. I've got the same problem with color blindness. If the blood is on something with high contrast I can usually see it, especially if it is still wet. The light reflects nicely. Thankfully I hunt with a couple of really good trackers but I'll be interested to see what others say about the lights

·
Registered
109 Posts
Latterns don't work well and LED lights are horrible. I can't even spot the blood with LED and I'm not color blind. My husband is and so I do most of the tracking. He wants to try the spray this year since he will be hunting HSC property and I am not allowed to help on that property.

Has anyone used the spray? If so, which one?

Thanks much
Susan

·
Registered
266 Posts
Propane lanterns are not good at all the light is way too yellow, the Coleman fuel lanterns are excellent they burn much whiter of a light and with an etched glass it will only enhance the white light.

I have the same color problem, I bought a Primus Blood hunter light, It seems to work pretty well, I never needed it to track my deer with it last year, but I did use it some around an already found buck a friend shot last year and to me the blood seemed to stand out pretty well.

So we will see this year how it works :D unless I don't have to track it :evil:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
last year i was using a led light for the first time very nice for walking through the woods. but it sucks for seeing blood i had to go home and get a lantern. but i cant help you with this man i am curious too see the out come of this

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
The easiest thing that I found was to teach my kids how to hunt. ;) The camp rule is if you find the first blood you are the lead tracker.

I have a hard time seeing blood on snow in dim light. :sad: I've resigned myself to asking for help and try to arrange a tracker prior to hunting. Firearm season is easy, the deer usually are only a couple of feet below where I shot them. I found that it's easier to practice shooting well than it is to over come red-green color blindness.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have never tried it but have heard the some people use hydrogen peroxide ( mangled the spelling on that) in a spray bottle. The idea was that when it comes in contact with blood it foams. My father was color blind and learned to follow the deer`s hoof track.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Actually about 3 years ago i found the best blood tracking tools I have ever used,

My 8 year old son and my 10 year old daughter :D

They are just plain good, I just have to reward them with the promise of more Deer Jerky, and they do almost everything but bark on the trail, lol :evil:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I would try some of the new led lights that most people don't know about. These lights are super bright and very white with long burn times. High power leds are the Cree and Seoul. I've been tracking with them for a few years now with awesome results. The super white light might help even though you are color blind. I can't even walk in the woods anymore with my old Surefire incandecents (Way to yellow!). Candlepowerforums.com is a great website to learn about this newer technology.

Walmart and Target are starting to carry a few lowend Crees. Meijer sells a Rayovac 3C Cree for around $25.00 that's not bad at all. Lowes has been selling a 2C Cree under the Taskforce name that gets good reviews.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
I've found the best tracking lights to be a coleman dual mantle lantern, mine is the powerhouse version with a reflector on it, and a surefire flashlight. I am surprised to hear someone say the light is yellowish. I find it to be very white and bright but my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Someone last year posted a link to a spray that is used by detectives to find blood. It look interesting. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Best of luck this season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts