Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my first blue crab today in my trap.. not quite sure how to get him out.. but i need a few more for a meal.. pretty cool though~

·
Registered
102 Posts
thats a blue alright, they're great eating!!! i use to catch them dowm in the keys with just a peice of squid tied to my line without a hook (once they grab hold they dont let go)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He looks pissed. Good luck getting him out!
im trying to get the little woman to reach in there and pull it out.. she's a sissy....:yikes: these are blue crabs and they are the "hot" seafood down here other than stone crabs. so im trying to trap my own off my dock. than i gotta figure out what and how to clean them and eat'em. i will get a picture of how big it is when i get brave enough to grab him. beautiful blue color on them.. but they do have an attitude. :SHOCKED: right now he is still being a decoy to draw others into the trap.. :fish: :fish2:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Very good eating right there, I remember catching them off the fishing piers in Port St. Lucie, and you are right, they do get kinda cranky.

Man Wiggler, I remember my first year down there I was doing a roof near Ye Ha Junction
and at break we went to the lake in this gated community to fish, my buddy caught a 3' gator and somehow got him on the pier, well lets just say when he started hissing and walking twords me, this Yooper took off running

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not many gators out here on the island... they are in mostly freshwater. but i got a pelican thats gonna end up crab bait if he doesnt stay away from the fish im reeling in.. :rant: i just had a catfish on and thought... "I'll fix his feathered head" and let the catfish splash right below me on the dock.. he flew in and WHAM!!!:SHOCKED: tried to take that catfish in and knew he made a big mistake... :dizzy: :lol: now he is backing off until i land the fish, than comes over for the leftovers after i filet it. :corkysm55

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wiggler BE A MAN and just reach in and grab that crab. I can't believe a guy who sweet talks bobcat to reliese them is worried about a little crab :lol::lol::lol: Have fun!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Nice catch Wiggler!

What you use for bait? We find that chicken necks and other oily fish parts work well.

Removal? Heavy leather gloves or tongs--like from the buffet line or barbeque will extract the quarry from the pot. Looks like that one may be a female, see the red "fingernails". Males will have brilliant blue and often larger claws. See the link:

http://www.bluecrab.info/identification.html

Not sure where you're spending your time, but in FL where we've been going the past couple of years (Apalachicola area) they really encourage release of the females, and require it when with eggs or young. See link:

http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltwater_Regulations_recbluecrab.htm#female

A neat thing is that if you put one crab in a pail it will try like crazy to get out. Add the second and so on and they'll grab each other to prevent anyone escaping!

We catch ours on handlines and with rods/landing nets. We've kept them in a cooler with ice for a day or two until we get a mess. Then a cold freshwater rinse and send them into a rolling boil kettle of water. Not a tremendous amount of meat, but very sweet. Softshells fromt he seafood sellers just batter the whole thing and deep fry. Eat the soft shell and all!

Finding any reds or trout action?

Eric

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im over on pine island outside of Ft. Myers. the trout fishing off my dock has at times been awesome!!! better than out in the boat. i got a freezer full for a massive fish fry with all the family. i will have to get a better look at the crab tomorrow.. and i was thinking about the tongs things too.. seeing as how i cant get the wife to grab the darn thing.. does a male crab have a "thingy"????? :SHOCKED: hmmmm whatever this one is.. its gettin eatin sometime. just so i can say... i ate blue crab once.. :corkysm55 :sick: :fish:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hey Wiggler,

Check out that first site--it has great pics and diagrams of the genders. If you wander around there a bit more there is great info on how to prep and clean them as well!

We got into some nice sea trout last spring. Amazingly close to a walleye bite and fight, and they really eat good too! Much prettier than a walleye IMO too! You catching them on bait or plugs? Our best was pearl GULP shrimp on a jig under popping corks. Sometimes they would hammer them, other times just sip it in. Trailer hooks helped get some of the light biters. A red yo-zuri minnow was hot one day too.

Continued good luck! Enjoy reading your posts!

Eric

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Used to catch a bunch of blue crabs like that years ago with the inlaws in Key West. As I recall, put on a pair of work gloves, grab the crab at the very back of it with one hand and quick grab and twist off each pincher with the other hand. Yea, I know it can't seem that easy, but I believe that is what we did. Then you can split the crab apart pulling top from the bottom, clean out innards, yellow stuff, and spongy looking lungs and they are ready for the pot.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Erik... seems everyone down here uses some kind of plastic bait... (gulp shrimp, minnow style) but when im fishing behind the house, im using the biggest live shrimp i can get. that keeps those darn pinfish and snappers from eating them before the trout and drums get to it. but these trout are very tide senitive. only catch them at certain times. mostly a high tide. but i still think they fight a little better than walleyes... :lol: and are way more prettier than a wally. :corkysm55 when were out in the boat, couple of my spots you can throw anything in there and catch a trout. just not very big ones. gonna go check the "trap" after this next cup of coffee and see if i scored anymore yet.:yikes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.