Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my brit pup and hes too young to be outside for long but i dont wanna fall behind on his training. any indoor training suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
How old is the pup

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dont know how young your pup is but you can always start playing fetch with him so he/she can start learning retrieves. But keep it fun with absolutely no pressure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
born on august 29th 2014. Hes had some field training did great I just dont want to fall behind I have some pheasant feathers and wings. I have a bumper to play fetch with. I was just trying to figure out what other hunting related training i could do indoors. Side note: I have a large basement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of mine is about the same age. I reinforce the basics inside and get him doing them to the whistle inside as well. I think that's important because all of the advanced stuff is dependent upon execution of the basics. On days when it's not frigid, I do his exercises outside and take him for walks behind my house. I hide the wings before the walk and mark where they're located and he finds them. Maybe something like that would work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of mine is about the same age. I reinforce the basics inside and get him doing them to the whistle inside as well. I think that's important because all of the advanced stuff is dependent upon execution of the basics. On days when it's not frigid, I do his exercises outside and take him for walks behind my house. I hide the wings before the walk and mark where they're located and he finds them. Maybe something like that would work for you

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire
that's what I'll have to do.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
And I am going to petco with her to get her used to people and working on the learned commands with distractions.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
born on august 29th 2014. Hes had some field training did great I just dont want to fall behind I have some pheasant feathers and wings. I have a bumper to play fetch with. I was just trying to figure out what other hunting related training i could do indoors. Side note: I have a large basement.
At her age she cannot fall behind. Though winter time is tough on newbies, pups and owners.
Personally depending the facilities you have available pole barn space basement space an area say 10X20 I would place board train her. This is a real good time of year to teach her the Here command and the Stand for examination command. This not whoa breaking,though it could a precursor to actual whoa breaking Personally I have never taught a pointing dog the Sit command.
So by the time you perfect the Here, and Stand stay, along with some play retrieveing with different objects of the place board it will be late March early April and you will be to get here back out in the field.
You and her will have spent a great winter learning and becoming a working team.
The worse thing you can do is nothing, use this so called down time to yours and her advantage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts