Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the second season upon us, and it looking like we may actually be able to hunt in the North Country this December unlike last year when we were snowed in, I thought I would mention that there is a very informative article in the December Gun Dog about avoiding the hazards of hypothermia for our four legged friends of the short or thin haired variety. The article opened my eyes to somethings I would have never considered. Water intake is apparently key, even when it is cold, which presents a problem for me because my dog shows very little interest in water in those conditions. I'm a snowmobiler and I'm usually praying for deep snow by now, but my dog has been so good this year and is learning so much, I don't want the season to end.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Keeping oneself hydrated in the colder season is just as important. People are animals too, probably more stubborn than most, and as such tend to not feel thirsty in colder weather. Look for the same signs in yourself as your dog to stay healthy: less often urinating, and a darker color to it. When you see those, you need to take in water. Be safe everyone, and have a great second half!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts