Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at cabelas for some clothing that will keep me warm in this 7degree weather. I was unable to find anything that says that it is Wind and water proof. Does anyone use anything that is wind and water proof and still very warm. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just ordered the superslam hunting suit. I used it in 16 degree weather the other night and I stayed pretty toasty. No hint of getting cold. I ordered the jacket, bibs and uninsulated pants. The super slam is windproof and waterproof. All of their clothing is on sale right now.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Cabela's Silent Hide jacket and bibs gets a thumbs up from me. Light weight, quiet,warm, wind proof and water proof. Put that with Cabela's heavy weight long underwear and sent lock and your all set. Used that combination last weekend south of pentwater.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Do you really need waterproof?

Check out Gray Wolf Woolens, you can find 'em on the web. I have some of their garments in the "wolfskin" material, insulated + a windproof barrier. Expensive, but superbly constructed, custom fit, and you will not get cold.

A bit cheaper, but still well-made stuff, are the garments by Day One Camo. Get the insulated, windproof bibs in Predator Fall Gray (great winter pattern), along with the matching parka, and you'll be good to go.

Gray Wolf will also do you a Scent-lok lined headcover in their wolfskin material, in any camo pattern they carry. They made me one in Fall Gray, and it is extremely well-made, better by far than any of the headcovers marketed by either Scent-lok or Scentblocker.

Ravenwear garments are as warm as any made. My biggest gripe about them is they are also very heavy - you'll have to pack them in, and then put them on when you reach your stand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have your answer. This year I picked up a Browning Hydro Fleece 4-1 jacket, with the down liner, and a pair of bibs to match from Cabelas. Got it in Mossy Oak Break Up. It's Gore Tex, so its 100% water proof and wind proof, and with the down lining it's unbelievably warm - too warm in fact on some days when I had to put in the standard insulated lining back in. Tested it on opening day for firearm season here in Michigan, and I was the only one in my party to stay bone dry in the day long downpour. If you were out that day you know it was raining from EVERY direction including sideways. Tested it in the bitter cold during this past month and never had a day where I was cold, even after sitting still for 4 hours in a tree stand swaying in the driving wind and snow. Not the cheapest gear, but you get what you pay for - and unless it's Gore Tex in my experience it's not 100% waterproof. I give it my full and unconditional endorsement!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Autumn Woods Outfitters wool clothing is WARM!!!

http://www.autumnwoodoutfitters.com/

I had a complete suit of King of the Mountain wool clothing that I wore for 6+ years and it was warm, but heavy.

I found this stuff at the Michigan Deer and Turkey show in Lansing a couple of years in a row, talked to the owner at length, and ended up buying several pieces from them. This stuff is warmer and lighter than the KOTM stuff I had, and is available with waterproof/windproof linings if you choose.

It is machine washable like the KOTM, but you don't have to STRETCH it out afterwards like with the KOTM.

It is custom sized to your measurements, so if you want it for this year, you are probably out of luck.

I bought the PEAK camo color and it works very well for the how the woods look once it gets cold enough to wear it... :lol:

If you ever are in the GR area and want to check mine out, let me know... :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have the Cabela's MT050 7-in-1 parka and insulated bibs, 1200gsm thinsulate boots. The biggest bang though is the cold gear underarmor and liner socks with my thinsulate socks. The only complaint I have is that I have to pack my coat to the tree and put it on a few minutes after climing. I also use a neck gaiter/hat combo. Good gloves are coming soon - keep the extrmeties warm and everything else stays warm...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
For deer hunting, especially bow hunting though, how quite is all of this stuff??

That's why I prefere WOOL myself... :chillin:

Mark

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If it is significantly below freezing why do you need to be waterproof? I don't remember too many rainstorms when temps are in the teens and low twenties.

I wear multi layers of thinner polypro / fleece; if it gets wet it keeps most of its warmth, dry it out overnight. Synthetic fleece dries in a flash compared to wool.

I have a hooded neoprene camo jacket that I bought for winter steelhead / surf fishing; it is pretty quiet and 100% waterproof. Does not breath though - it is for sitting, not stalking.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
If it is significantly below freezing why do you need to be waterproof? I don't remember too many rainstorms when temps are in the teens and low twenties.

Agree. I just bought the MT050 7-1 parka and bibs from Cabelas and it seems like it will be a little noisy for bow season. Seems real warm but I may take it back for the noise issue as I'd really like to use it for late bow season also.

Any ideas on something really warm yet quite and with good camo pattern? I know the wool stuff I usually see does not have real good camo. I don't really care about waterproof. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
436 Posts
This mornings hunt started out at 45 degrees and raining, as the day progressed it made all the way down to 27 degrees. I could see the need for both. :)

Is wool just as warm as the synthetic stuff? It must be heavier.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
My Heater Body Suit is the warmest hunting suit I have worn. It is amazing. I was skeptical of it for several years. I wish I would have bought one sooner. I just ordered one for my son.

Dan

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Farm, you can find Grey Wolf on the web. I too have the wolfskin in the pullover parka. Great stuff.
http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php

Get the outfitter line. I have mine in Predator Grey

I'm also thinking of getting some late season wool for hunting on the ground with a long bow in December. This stuff is VERY expensive, but the best IMHO.

http://www.woolcamo.com/wool.htm

Next year I'm planning on splurging on the "on stand bibs" and "mountain hunter jacket". Both in grey.

The bibs...
http://www.woolcamo.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=p-90

The jacket...
http://www.woolcamo.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=j-76

·
Registered
459 Posts
[/quote] Agree. I just bought the MT050 7-1 parka and bibs from Cabelas and it seems like it will be a little noisy for bow season. Seems real warm but I may take it back for the noise issue as I'd really like to use it for late bow season also. [/quote]

During bow season, I find that the shell portion of the parka is not necessary. I leave it at camp unless it is raining AND cold, otherwise it's the base coat which is nice and quiet, plus a rain shell if it is wet out.

For what it's worth, I have taken deer in bow and gun season at close ranges with the full parka on and they never knew I was there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like to stick to the 1 piece outfits in the really cold weather. It keeps the wind away from your waist side. I found a 1 piece waterproof camo outfit at Dunhams for 60 dollars on clearance. I wear cabelas down filled under wear underneath it and I'm very warm when sitting still for long periods. You don't need the down under wear with this set up. Visit dunhams and you'll see my 1 piece I bought. It's a steal compared to some of the high priced Cabelas stuff. Good Luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wear cabelas down filled underwear under my normal outfit and love it. If you're walking alot put under armour underneath the downs. Good Luck

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Mibig-sent you a PM question about that wool you have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts