Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold steel best describes a day plugging with friends. Launched the sled around 10am and dropped plugs in a popular run not far from the launch that usually gets the skunk out of the boat in a hurry and this morning was no different only the fish didnt want to commit hard enough to stay hooked. Worked the river till 1:30pm without even a slap untill this male took the smell out of the boat.

With the rods all running again went a short ways and the corner rod buckles down and then the outside rod on the same side of the boat buckles too. Double time and with a little rod work slid the net under both fish that were carbon copies of the first. Cleared the lines, checked the hooks and snaps and put the two rods back in with the other three. Worked down to a spot that has been popping a fish the last few trips and right where it should happen saw a flash of silver as a steel just didnt want to mess with the orange and silver quickfish, but when he turned around and the willy was in his face decided the smaller plug was more his size and another one felt the cold steel of the bottom of the boat. Hey, this cold, dreary day in Jan is looking pretty good at this point, but a few more "pops" needed drinking, so we couldnt call it a day yet!! Those pops sure came in handy if this rod tells you anything!!!

As light was fading the oarsman hit this boga weighed 11 pounder.

[/IMG]

What a fish to end a great time on the river. For the day we went 6 for 9 on steel, one for two on propane tanks for the heaters, and 12 for 12 on the pops! Riverman

[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
20,175 Posts
1 for 2 on propane... :p

You better stop molesting those SW fish.
It's good to see that all that water brought some additional fish. I figure another week around the house and I can start fishing with some type of regularity.

Same program?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Ralf, Its amazing how fast you can warm the boat up by removing the lines to the heaters and lighting the gas straight from the tank!:eek: :eek:

Same program and now that you have your "regularity" back:p, hopefully the next time all the pieces are in place you can join us. Kirk

·
Super Moderator
20,175 Posts
What???? :eek:

Holy Smokes!!!! That's insane. No more beer for you.

I really like the color on that "goldfish".

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the report. I got a major brain freeze the last time I was in a boat like that with the temps in the twenties. Nice fish!

·
Super Moderator
20,175 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
Thanks for the report. I got a major brain freeze the last time I was in a boat like that with the temps in the twenties. Nice fish!
Chris,

You're not supposed to drink Daquiries (sp) when it's that cold...LOL

Whiskey and maybe some White Russians. Trust me ;)

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. The camera finally lets me share some of the fish and sights that makes river fishing so special to me. I am also hoping to be able to get some shots of wildlife and birds that I see everyday while working.

Ive had a good fall and winter fishing so far and a big reason is the oarsman holding the nice fish. His boat, expertise in rowing, and no fear of running his plugs in the wood, has made for some awesome days of fishing. He is in the process of getting a license for the Joe, but holds a Forest Service Special Use Permit, and would be more than happy to put you on fish in the Big M or PM, plugging or fly. As down to earth as they come, and if you like to talk politics, you had better know your facts!!! Riverman

·
Premium Member
12,849 Posts
Nice report Kirk. We are finaly getting some decent snow up here, if you get up you could ice fish in front of the cabin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts