Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had an hour or so I went to my little farm down the street that's easy in and easy out. I figure the cold snap is turing things on finally.Tried a doe in esterous scent for the first time, drug it behind me to the stand and didn't even get my bow pulled up before a pretty little 6 came tearing up the trail.

I looked....pretty small. He'll be real nice next year. I sure would like some jerky....ahh let him walk, take a doe...I sure would like some jerky.... ahh forget it,there's plenty of time...I sure would like some jerky.

Ok if he begs me like that...I'll take him.
Grunt tube in the mouth.
Draw, anchor, grip, aim. He's walking and I grunt LOUD to stop him @ 12 yards.

GRUNT from the trail where he came from. Big, meaty, deep grunt.

Ahh...more jerky.

Beautifull mainframe 8 with a 6-7" drop off the left main and width that's carried to the points...HEAVY in headgear and body.

Little buck looks, I let down. Big buck stops RIGHT behing a shagbark and stops. I have a great shot of his head and rump. The rest is tree.

"One more step. One more step...come to daddy take THE DAMN STEP!"

He steps alright....at about 40MPH chasing the 6er to the next county....

Anyway, my heart got a good workout as this all happened in about 30 minutes. I'll be back tommorrow.

It's on ladies and gents.
It's on!

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
after seeing the weather report for the next couple days i just had to call in to work. the next couple days it will be me and my treestand.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I went out for a little while this evening...saw several does and one small buck...a four, maybe a five. I'll be out quite a bit over the next week, that's for sure!!

clattin

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
ALOT of buck activity this morning in Jackson County. Forecast for the upcoming days looks great - I have a friend coming in from New York who'll arrive tonight - he couldn't have timed it any better.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Believe it or not I only have one stand that does the NW wind well. Im really bummed the weather looks great but the wind is getting me. My best stands are SW and E winds. Followed by W and N. NW is hard.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Saw about a dozen again tonight hunting the edge of the cut corn. Had a small six follow me in before I was even set-up. I did not use any scent tonight but I did last night and he might have been on that. Also saw a decent eight and a smaller buck doing some chasing about 100 yards away. Also had a swarm of black birds that would feed in the field and fly to the trees for a couple of minutes before feeding again. I was amased at the number of birds until they landed in my tree and the ones around me. It sounded like it was raining as I cringe and watched bird $!&% land on my release, shoulder, boots and bow. I have had bad luck w/ a bird or two before but that was rediculous!!!!! This weekend should be great. I plan on being out a lot.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have that much use for and East wind stand Brandon? Where I'm at we only get an easterly once in a great while with the prevailing west.
I have stands set for all, but I try to make them good for more than one wind if possible...IE cut field, east at my back and facing the funnel their using. In that case any type of west will be ok as long as it's not easterly at all.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
I'm hoping to get out this afternoon. My last couple times out NADA!!!!!!! It's been either warm or raining. Maybe tonight will be the night. This cold snap has really got me going. I got to get out and see some of those boys that have been tearing up all of those trees!!!!!!

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
35,677 Posts
The second weather alert this week. The first one only gave us 2".

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...CHIPPEWA- INCLUDING THE CITY OF... SAULT STE MARIE 337 PM EST THU NOV 6 2003
... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT... LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP BY FRIDAY MORNING AND WILL CONTINUE... POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES... THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. IN ADDITION... GUSTY WINDS WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ON FRIDAY. BY SATURDAY MORNING SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 9 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS CHIPPEWA COUNTY ALTHOUGH ISOLATED AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE NORTH OF M-28 AROUND WHITEFISH POINT AND PARADISE....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts